How would you build a 10.4.8 Kern Patch for ALL?

ArcticRift

6 posts in this topic

I have been reading about people building their own Kern update installers with packagemaker......

If there are already DVD's out there, patching the new Kern in to the install, couldn't one just make a Package that will install, repair the permissions, and there you go?

Who would be the fastest and best to ask to do this?

Semthex, JaS, Mfiki, Vitaly?

I will start looking in to building an installer package this weekend, and if I succeed, I will drop it somewhere to find next week....

Any one else want to try?

We can aim for the Neb Kern.... seems to be the most popular at the moment...

Kernel development produces a new kernel everyday. Why not wait until the development settles out for a while.

Adding a kernel is so easy, not sure why you need an installer just for it. You can even have a lot of different kernels and just tell the system which one to use at boot by typing its name.

If you want to investigate how to make an installer, download the program called Iceberg.

Heya Ramjet,

I am talking about making an installer for those of us who do now have the JaS DVD or a Gigs of Bandwidth. And once the installer is made, if I post the pre-built one, then one can just add the new kern in, build with packagemaker and there you go... or once you have a new kern install, you can then just add a new kern in.

It is just to help those of us that already have a wokring system, and just want to new kern, and Nvidia support. Maybe I will add in the new Nvidia drivers too..

What do you guys think?

To get PackageMaker, you have to download Xcode which is over 900 MB.

Iceberg does the same thing and the download is 4.6 MB. A kernel download is 1.4 MB and installing it is as simple as copying it to the root directory of your OSX partition and repairing permissions.

Getting an older 10.4.8 working system to work with the new kernel isn't as simple as dropping in a new kernel. That is why the new install DVD is being created.

Ramjet, I know that, the fact that it isn't simple "is" the problem here... that we will be addressing.

I want to make it easier, I want to include the patches, kext files etc, needed.

You have a working 10.4.7 install, your run the Package, you have a 10.4.8 with the new Kern... presto....

I will test all the Package or install makers,

Are you not understanding the basic principals of the project here?

How is important yes... but knowing what you want to achive at first is even more important.

I will start work this evening, and see if I can get something working.

It would be nice to have something like an installer that checks online for the latest kernel and parse release notes of the build, and then install. We could use this tool in general for modified kexts etc.

Something like a software update for files than need to be changed in generic pc's to run osx.

This is easy to do with .net but in don't know about xcode.