Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LMHmedchem

looking for hardware specs for a system to run Logic Pro 9

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a friend who uses Logic Pro 9 for his home recording studio. He has a an older iMac with 8GB of RAM that cannot be upgraded. 8GB RAM places limitations on what he can do with the software but a newer iMac is out of his price range.

I have built PCs for years, so I thought I would look into the specs for an Intel based system that could run OSX and Logic Pro 9. I am thinking that running OSX in a VM would not provide the required performance. Please let me know if I am not right about that.

In the past I have looked at an OSX compatible system using a Gigabyte board, but that has been quit a while ago (Wolfdale, socket 775) so I need to start fresh. I would be looking at skylake or kaby lake.

As far as details go details, I need to put together a hardware list, accumulate the necessary drivers, and find a place to buy the software that I need a license for. If someone here can give me some pointers or direct me to a good place to start looking, I would appreciate it.

It would also be great to get some advice from someone who uses Logic Pro and can comment on hardware utilization. Is it helpful to have more than 4 cores, or is the max GHz per core more important? How much RAM is too much, especially since RAM can cost double the combined CPU and motherboard cost? Thoughts on a sound card, other peripherals,etc.

Thanks for the input,

LMHmedchem

Advertisement
After some reading, I have come up with this as a starting point,

After a $30 Microcenter rebate, the above comes to $1004. Can anyone see any issues with this as a parts list?

I have a few other questions if anyone can help.

Does a rig like this need a motherboard with thunderbolt video output and a thunderbolt monitor? This is very important as it completely changes the price structure. Are there any other suggestions about the video card and monitor?

I would really like to add a second m.2 SSD for current project files but there aren't any Gigabyte H270 boards listed at newegg that have 2x m.2 slots. Can someone recommend another board? Otherwise I would need to go ATX.

Is there anyone who uses Logic Pro who can tell me if there is an advantage to going with an i7 hyper-threading chip over the i5 listed above? Does it make sense to wait a bit until the new Intel hexacore chips come out in October or is the i5 quad above plenty of CPU? Not every application is multi-threaded to use every available core.

This rig has 16GB of RAM, will Logic Pro utilize more than that if it is available? RAM is so expensive now that I don't want to waste budget on RAM if the software is not set up to use it.

I am not sure about a sound card. I would guess Logic Pro could run off of the onboard card but if there are advantages to using an aftermarket card, I would appreciate advice on that.

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

If you can go another $40-50 for the graphics card a AMD RX 460-560, or Nvidia 1050-1050ti will be much better for any video work and or multi screen work.

Thunderbolt you need to have a thunderbolt header on the motherboard (like a USB 3.0 slot) and a Thunderbolt pcie card so a micro ATX or ITX board will need the pcie slots onboard if you want to use it. It is not really necessary for monitors as DisplayPort and HDMI can supply them well enough.

The i7 7700k is the per dollar performer and beats everything in its class right now. Waiting for more cores will also mean a new mobo design so price will shoot up a bit.

It would also be great to get some advice from someone who uses Logic Pro and can comment on hardware utilization. Is it helpful to have more than 4 cores, or is the max GHz per core more important? How much RAM is too much, especially since RAM can cost double the combined CPU and motherboard cost? Thoughts on a sound card, other peripherals,etc.

Logic Pro (X at least) will happily use multiple cores. In that sense it's more important than single-core GHz.

I've been running LPX on a 13" Retina MBP (Late 2013) which has a 2.4GHz dual-core i5 and 8G of RAM. Planning to upgrade ASAP as I'm hitting the limits of this machine all the time even with relatively moderate use. I would say 4 cores/threads is the absolute minimum (in 2017/2018) and more will not hurt. I would imagine 16G of RAM would do unless you're planning to use huge sample libraries and/or running other software at the same time as Logic.