Booting Problem

Bachonga

19 posts in this topic

I just installed the semthex kernel with the 10.4.8 install JaS DVD installer and right after, i rebooted and to my surprise, NO MORE DARWIN. I can't boot into windows, not even an option to. Even more, once on mac, USB mouse and keyboard don't respond anymore. AND since no darwin, i can't boot into safe mode. This is a real problem for me, I have a huge project in windows and I need help ASAP!

Sounds like you used the corrupt 10.4.8 DVD iso that was pulled from most sources except other idiots kept distributing it.

You need the 10.4.8 JaS Intel SSE3 Only Reseed DVD iso.

Use a Windows boot CD to boot and select your Windows partition. Run FIXMBR and FIXBOOT

im almost positive that is what I downloaded, but ill recheck (it was off demonoid, the newest upload of the 10.4.8 on November 3rd, but im assuming ill check the Pirate Bay for the newer version. AND where can i get that windows boot CD?

Thanks tremendously for the help btw!

if your computer came with XP installed, then it might be a Disk that says Dell Recovery Disk, or the like. Other than that it woudl just be your plain old XP install disk. then you boot from it and choose to launch the recovery consul. then you choose your XP install, type in the admin password (usually blank) and then do "FIXMBR" and "FIXBOOT". type in "REBOOT" after all that is done, and then it should start up with windows.

hmm, see if you can just do a normal install sequence, then it should have an option in there somewhere for using the recover consul.

yea. I personally run one of the eXperience releases, but idk if they have a recovery consul. just look for a plain old xp disk at the usual places. it doesnt need to be pro or anything.

experience streamlines them, so they require almost no input. im pretty sure it skips that step and goes right to choosing a hard drive.

ok, since i don't have originals, im getting them anyway =P, should be done in a while, but once i do, im assuming i can pop in the disc and they're will be a boot command. If so, i will type the string you gave earlier, and it will boot to windows? Moving on once more, will it fix the boot permanentaly or will i have to boot with that disc everytime. ( i probably won't turn it off till i finish downloading the new 10.4.8 so not a real problem if I do)

umm once you fix it up in the recovery consul it will stay like that, so you dont need the disk. it will wipe anything you had changed in the boot.ini, but it doesnt sound like there was much there anyway.

Load the Xp install.

After windows files load, it will give options to install or repair.

Press R -Repair XP

Type: Fixboot, it may ask you to "chkdsk", type Y

Type: Fixmbr, then type Y when asked

If none of that works you may have to do "Bootcfg /Rebuild"

Good Luck ;)

Thanks for the loads of help! Almost done with the disk getting process. But if i fix the boot.ini will it make the winodws active and make it necessiary to reinstall OSx86 to restore Darwin? Ill probably reinstall anyway, but just so i know to make provisions for the possible "oh god i f***ed up huh" situations. Thanks again!

+((((((((((((((((

I did all you said, exactly, and now it is giving me a "NTLDR is missing. Press any key to restart" error on every boot, any more solutions? i reall can't lose whats on the hard drive, if i must ill go buy USB cables and transfer to another comp, but anything simpler would be nice!

thanks again

-Bachonga