How to load an IDE hard-drive in os x?

Wallfacer

8 posts in this topic

hello,

my HD can't be recognized in the OS installation, when trying hacintosh my antique PC, but it works ok in MS Win10. After a few weeks' research, it looks that the OS X only support ACHI mode SATA? with detailed check, I figured out that the MB doesn't have an ACHI option for SATA at all, only IDE in there.

my PC settings are listed,

1. CPU: intel Xeon 3210 (lga775)

2. MB: P35AX (with ICH9, phoenix bios, v1.2)

3. HD: wd 1TB 7200rps, Sata

Then i found there is "ACHI/IDE" kexts(below) which seems to be able to fix this,

AppleIntelPIIXATA

ATAPortInjector

however, it still doesn't work, the HD is not there in os installation with the kexts injected. Does anyone could help?

ATAPortInjector.kext.zip

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.zip

re: Herve

thank you so much for help, this is very detailed and helpful, not only to resolve my problem but explained the methods too.

P.S. can I paste & translate your post to a Chinese hacintosh bbs, so that more people may be benefited?

I've only summarised information that's been known and published for years. You can sure paste and translate on a Chinese forum but I've not invented anything.

ye, still it is very helpful..there are lots of hacintosh beginners everywhere like me. In china, i see many people eager to hacintosh their PC/laptop, some of them succeeded by chance (simply follow the instruction); and some failed, without knowing & trying approaches other than the instruction -- which definitely can not cover all devices. Your guide is clear and understandable, I think it would be helpful for those hacintosh-er who would like to pay a little more efforts than stop at the basic problems only.

BTW, is it the same logic to drive the other devices in os X, e.g. 

1, make sure if the system support this device;

2, if yes, figure out your device ID and patch into the relevant kext;

then the problems turn to:

1, how to determine if certain device is supported or not?

2, how to find the relevant kext to a device? (maybe by device function/name is a shortcut, is there any other clue?)

3, if both are negative, does it mean the device is a NO-SOLUTION one?  

thanks again

thanks again, Herve.

hope this doesn't bother you a lot -- is it possible to make a comparison amongst the different patching methods?

Like, pre-patched kext (3rd party kext), DSDT injection, Clover config.plist injection, device ROM injection, vanilla kext patch etc..