Cannot boot after install official 10.4.8 updates

vitz399

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I think I have made a mistake by installing the official 10.4.8 updates from a patched 10.4.6 mac osx86. Now my mac osx won't even boot up. Are there everyone tried this before? And is there a way to fix the problem or perhaps reverts the update process.

Thank you in advance

vitz

Make sure after installing offical 10.4.8 updates to install the new kernel, replace the AppleSMBios.kext. If you can't boot into MacOSX, boot to Windows XP and use Transmac to transfer the new mach_kernel (your processor must be SSE3. To totally get the kernel, get it on irc in channel #kernel). Replace them and put your Mac OS X dvd in. Repair permissions and reboot.

When you reinstall, there is an option to reinstall while preserving your user settings, documents, emails and apps. So never fear - reinstall!

I am new to Mac, could please tell me how to reinstall with the options you just mentioned.

I have reinstalled more than twenty times without seeing that option ...trying to patch 10.4.5 to 7 because my computer locksup after every patchup. (all i see is that hd with an 'x' thus i am forced to erase all the time.)

Hikari.... can i still use your recommendation with an ss2 box.

thanks

dp