can i install on a PPC mac from a x86 disk?

john123

15 posts in this topic

OEM Tiger discs:

-Gray

-Come in PPC and Intel flavors, unmarked

-Will return "This software cannot be installed on this computer." if it's the wrong platform.

Retail Tiger discs:

-Black, X logo

-Universal Binary

Pre-Tiger discs:

PPC-only.

Are you sure the Retail disks are Intel? Apple pastes the UB logo on damn near anything that will hold still for long enough. All the retail ones I've seen (ok the box I'm looking at right at the moment) say this:

PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor

Built-in FireWire

At least 256MB of physical RAM

A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

At least 2.0 GB of available space on your hard drive; 3.5GB of disk space if you install XCode 2 developer tools

I know the grey ones that come with macs are platform specific....

well i know like 500% for sure that all the Mac OS X discs that can be bought from apple are not intel. there would be no reason to make them retail becuase there are no intel apples to upgrade, only ppc apple's. hence why the retail install discs are ppc. now the install discs that came with an apple if u bought one would be intel becuase they need to come with restore discs.

we have weird results, for some it works for some it doesnt. maybe some people instlalled the patches and maybe some didnt?

Well i tried with 10.4.6 (pressing C while booting up) and the install didn't start and i got a folder with a question mark. I think that means it didnt work.

Well that's because that Disk is patched to install on a Hackintosh, a retail one does not have that problem.

well i know like 500% for sure that all the Mac OS X discs that can be bought from apple are not intel. there would be no reason to make them retail becuase there are no intel apples to upgrade, only ppc apple's. hence why the retail install discs are ppc. now the install discs that came with an apple if u bought one would be intel becuase they need to come with restore discs.

we have weird results, for some it works for some it doesnt. maybe some people instlalled the patches and maybe some didnt?

I've spoken with AppleCare, an Apple representative, and some people in the Apple Store and they all say what I said above: Retail Tiger discs are Universal, OEM discs come in PPC and Intel flavors.

Well that's because that Disk is patched to install on a Hackintosh, a retail one does not have that problem.

Aren't you the chick with the OQO? :)