Which MacOSX version would best run in old (2009) Alienware R1

redbull02

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm a bit new to hackintosh but I've done some reading into the whole installation process. I've managed to run Mavericks on a super crappy HP Pavilion Slimline 400-034 (although only on Safe Mode, no kernel cache and I'm still trying to find the correct Voodoohda config to get some basic stereo audio out of the 3.5mm jack but that's a story for another day lol) so I've had some experience with the painful install process.

So here's my challenge for you, and boy is it a big one hehe:

I want to install any version of MacOSX that can run in an old Alienware Aurora R1 (Dell's official spec site), so I was wondering if by any chance any of you know if any of my hardware will be compatible with some old (or new) MacOSX distro out there. I can try out some installations but I figured I could save some painful time of troubleshooting and boot flag madness lol

Quick specs:

H869M Alienware Mobo (Intel X58 rev. 13 chipset, Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00)

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Bloomfield (LGA1366 socket)

Memory: 9 GB total (3x2GB & 3x1GB)  DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM | PC3-8500F (1066 MHz) 

GPU (upgraded from the original GTX 260): Gigabyte GTX 970 (GM204 | A1 revision) (4GB GDDR5 | 256 bus bandwidth | 224.4 GB/s bandwidth)

I've attached an html file from CPU-Z that has more ind-depth specs. Also included a .gif screenshot from GPU-Z that has much more detail about the GPU if needed.post-2153582-0-90002200-1498422316_thumb.gif

CPU-Z specs (Alienware Aurora).html

So, what do you guys think, could I run some MacOSX version that'll give me some basic hardware functinoality (on-board stereo audio, HDMI or DVI video and audio (or 3.5 mm audio jack), USB 2 and 3, etc.) 

Well, I'll break the ice then...

I can confirm that Sierra 12.12.3 runs stably with my current setup. Got audio, ethernet, all usb ports (on-board). However, I can't get Nvidia web drivers to load properly. I've installed the Nvidia web drivers, selected the drivers (in NVIDIA driver manager app) and added the kernel boot flag "nvda_drv=1" in chameleon wizard (unchecked "graphic enabler", "graphics mode" or anything else in the "Graphics" section of chameleon wizard). However, when I boot up in verbose mode, I suddenly loose video signal upon log in screen (BTW, I'm using a DVI-I connection, which is the only one that works out of the video card; DVI-D and HDMI not outputing any video). This issue is resolved if I bootup in safe mode (with these boot flags: -v -x -f -F) or if I disable the "nvda_drv=1" bootflag.

Is it that I'm not enabling the Nvidia drivers correctly?

All the guides refer to using Clover bootloader but as you can see my motherboard does NOT support UEFI and I don't really understand Clover so I'm using an old chameleon bootloader that I have in an old Maverick USB installer that I created to bootup into MacOS. I tried installing a Chameleon bootloader into my Sierra partition but I get an error after installation so that's why I can't bootup from the hard drive.

Can anyone, please, help me!

Thanks for the reply @VirusX! Yea Sierra runs really well on my system (although I haven't been in able to run Yosemite or Mavericks without safe mode, since the kernel loading gets stuck after loading some bluetooth device kext  [i don't have any bluetooth devices BTW] for some reason and I don't have the technical expertise to troubleshoot that issue).

I think I just need to get the damn Nvidia web drivers loaded properly without loosing video during bootup process.

BTW, do you know how how I can move my post to the Nvidia section? 

Thanks again

Well, I'm not really sure how this works but I guess I'll mark your post as "solved" (since I wanna keep my original post saved in case I need some info from it) so that I can start a new one in the Nvidia section.

Thanks again VirusX! 

• Like 1

You're welcome. It sounds like you might have been able to solve the issue with Yosemite/Mavericks by getting rid of the bluetooth device kext (I assume you used some pre-configured installer that installed some bluetooth kext you didn't need) but that's water under the bridge.

Your Nvidia is an older model - you should be able to resolve that issue I think. I personally never had Nvidia cards with macOS so I can't help you further. I sure the guys in the graphics section will be able to help. Good luck!