Stupid question about the JaS 10.4.8 install

DrivinWest

3 posts in this topic

I've been out of the OS X x86 community for a few months and in that time things have changed - a lot. I've been trying to install the latest JaS 10.4.8 DVD without much luck and I think that might be due to the kernel selection process.

Per my understanding, the DVD permits the installation of either the semthex kernel OR the mikfi kernel - at no point should both boxes be ticked. The former can be used with or without HPET and NX support, the latter is intended for boards/CPUs that support them. Right?

That said, what happens if you don't select either the semthex kernel or the mikfi kernel during install. Will it install the old school pre-hacked kernel?

Much appreciated,

DW

Do not tick either one, as the combo package contains already semthex, and semthex's is more compatible. Install as little options as possible to start with, and then u can run packages l8r... That might save u a lot of grief

AFAIK you can install both kernels, then choose which one to boot using darwin boot manager (match_kernel and match_kernel.mikfi IIRC), I haven't tried to boot the second one yet but I have both installed with no problems.

The combo package contains already semthex.

If that's true, then there should be no reason to place an option to install semthex's :?