If FakeSMC is blacklisted by Apple, what's the point?

AppleBytes

2 posts in this topic

OK I finally managed a Mavericks install on an A68HM-plus with an A6-7470k APU, and an MSi GeForce GT 730 GPU.

It's far from perfect, but I get a desktop. In attempting to get the GPU correctly recognized, as well as the Sound. I'm finding I'm not making any progress. I'm wondering if the fact that Apple blacklisting FakeSMC, has anything to do with it:

# cat /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist | grep netkas
<key>org.netkas.FakeSMC</key>
<key>org.netkas.HPETDevice</key>
<key>org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC</key>
<key>org.netkas.fakesmc</key>
<key>org.netkas.hda</key>

I see there's Kext Utility; which apparently creates, or updates a OSKextSigExceptionList file. But I'm not really interested in installing an app that does a bunch of stuff I don't need, or want, just so I can get the OSKextSigExceptionList. I had originally thought that using the kext-dev-mode=1 flag in Chameleon, would do it.But now I'm not so sure.

What's the best way to deal with this?

Thanks!

--Chris

NOTE: this Apple "blacklisting" started in Mavericks (Funny)

Thanks for the reply, Hervé !

Oh Lord! ...

OK My last "hackintosh" was SnowLeopard. But...

FakeSMC is not "blacklisted" per sé. But like many other 3rd party kexts, it's not been officially approved (understand "signed off") by Apple, hence some signature warning when you install it in say /L/E (the 3rd party kexts folder). It still installs, caches and loads perfectly.

I understand that the "warnings" during boot, are only warnings. But given the difficulty getting some of the hardware properly recognized, and the entries in AppleKextExcludeList.kext , as well as the confirmation by netkas; this seemed a "reasonable" possibility.

Read up, 'seems you have years of catching up to do...

I've been doing almost nothing but reading for the last 3, and a half weeks.  :wacko:

NB: kext-dev-mode boot option is only needed for Yosemite (to load unsigned kexts). Totally irrelevant for Mavericks.

Hmm this is apparently a common misconception. As I see many recommendations on this, regarding Mavricks.
I'll remove it from my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file -- Thanks!

And your GPU or audio not recognised/working are unrelated to FakeSMC kext signature status.

I guess that's good news. It's one less thing to consider. :)

Thanks again, for the reply, Hervé !

--Chris