Compressing files

Eos9

2 posts in this topic

I recently had a couple of issues regarding sending large files (photographs) via email.

The first of these was the recipient requested that I send them so these wern't embedded within the email itself whilst the second was the size of the files themselves limiting the number I could send.

To overcome the first I understand if the photographs are firstly put in a folder or zipped this should overcome the issue.

To achieve this on my iMac if I right click on the photograph on my Desktop I can then use the option to compress that particular photograph.

Whilst this then shows the file as a jpg.zip and appears to overcome any probelems with it being embedded in the email, the file itself remains the same size and does not appear to be compressed in size at all.

I am still therefore limited in just sending a 1 or 2 images at a time on the email.

I would therefore appreciate any feedback concerning why when compessing the photograph the file size remains the same? Maybe I'm missing the point somewhere so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Without going into the detail, reducing the jpg size and quality isn't an option in this case as I need to maintain the quality of the original photograph.

I can of course use something like dropbox as I've done previously so this of course remains an option.

Whilst I realised jpg was a picture compressed format I didn't realise zipping them only achieved a few Kbytes and thought it might be a little more - obviously this explains things.