Dell 1390 Wifi HELP!

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i have a nearly fresh install of os x, 10.4.8 (the bad dvd, but it works ;))....

When i went on it for the firsrt time and went through the regersteration... it asked me what wifi network i wanted to connect to!!! and i was online... untill I rebooted.... my wifi light on my laptop went off... so i went into Windows XP and made sure that I was online.... I got online (via wifi) in xp, and rebooted into mac. I wasnt online... Even more than that, i went into the network planel in the control panel, and went to built-in ethernet, and I looked for a moment and the mac id was .. IDENTICAL to the mac id of my dell truemobile 1390 b/g wifi card. Then I installed titan and it worked :). But I cant get on wifi!!!! or i cant even plugin to get on line~!~!~!~!!~!~!~...

want to know a few odder things....

When i disable the card the little diagrram that looks like:

_

\/ <- to the left of the audio/time bar... at the top of the screen... and i click that airport icon it says:

Airport: not configured

:-O it makes no sense.

Then if i go into the system profiler, then Airport Card i get the following:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x7)

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 4.80.46.0

Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

So .. how do i turn it on?????

Also, If i didnt say this before, it reconises my ethernet as also being my wifi card...wtf?

ANY HELP HELPS!!! PLEASE HELP

thanks, sorry for the cabs and stuff... :o

Zeke,

That definitely is an odd sounding scenario. I haven't used the 10.4.8 yet. I find JaS's 10.4.6 very stable and i'm pleased with it. my wifi works with only small issue. It blinks out from time to time. I didn't need to make any kext changes or anything for the wifi to work. My wifi card is a 1490 it is seen as an Airport card. My Ethernet is a Broadcom 440x it is recognized as built in Ethernet and works.

Important to note:

The wifi card doesn't work in the initial registration and requires several tries through Internet Connect once in the OS.

The Macvidia drivers work but have no Quartz Extreme or Core Image support.

Audio! Well I have the SigmaTel High Definition Audio card and there must literally be thousands of words written about it on this site but the best i've been able to get was some choppy crappy sound outof it. It was so bad I reset the kexts and turned it off.

I've installed a lot of Logitech drivers but havent yet been able to get the camera working.

on another topic. I've found that every time I reinstall it what works and doesnt can change. You might try reinstalling.

-modified

Zeke,

That definitely is an odd sounding scenario. I haven't used the 10.4.8 yet. I find JaS's 10.4.6 very stable and i'm pleased with it. my wifi works with only small issue. It blinks out from time to time. I didn't need to make any kext changes or anything for the wifi to work. My wifi card is a 1490 it is seen as an Airport card. My Ethernet is a Broadcom 440x it is recognized as built in Ethernet and works.

Important to note:

The wifi card doesn't work in the initial registration and requires several tries through Internet Connect once in the OS.

The Macvidia drivers work but have no Quartz Extreme or Core Image support.

Audio! Well I have the SigmaTel High Definition Audio card and there must literally be thousands of words written about it on this site but the best i've been able to get was some choppy crappy sound outof it. It was so bad I reset the kexts and turned it off.

I've installed a lot of Logitech drivers but havent yet been able to get the camera working.

on another topic. I've found that every time I reinstall it what works and doesnt can change. You might try reinstalling.

-modified

hrmmm.. woudl you suggest downgrading to 10.4.6? but then how would i get up to 10.4.8? Are there patches, that work? I REALLY like titan, and it has a wounderful graphics acclerator.... and that only works with 10.4.8, and as for my sound, I changed a kext and one audio jack works! and it sounded pretty good on my 5.1 speakers.. :gathering:

there are patches. I haven't used them. there are a bunch of posts on 10.4.8 so read up. you best answer comes from good research.

I was going to reinstall OS X with the Myzar dvd, but I cannot find the DVD, i have looked EVERYWHERE for this... and connot find it, can you help me, i think you have the same laptop.. can u send me your kext's?

thanks!