How to reinstall Quicktime 7.1.2 from 7.1.3 ? Help please

jecsiac

14 posts in this topic

Hi Jecsiac,

The QuickTime Reinstaller for downgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.1.2 used to be available on Apple's website, but it was taken down by the time I tried to download it (I had this problem too because I have an SSE2 processor). Maybe someone else has the QuickTime reinstaller. It has to be the correct version though. I've looked everywhere for it too--3rd party Apple sites, torrent sites, old version software sites; you name it. QuickTime is NOT easy to reinstall without this installer (I tried AppZapper and other things too) as QuickTime is pretty much glued to OS X. Hopefully someone else will have the QuickTime Reinstaller file or another solution. Good luck! :blink:

Cya!

~Melody~

You don't need the reinstaller, besides it don't work, follow this instructions: go to apple and download AppDelete and the Quicktime 7.1.2 update, open App Delete and select "keep in dock", open applications folder and drag Quicktime.app to AppDelete icon on dock, say ok, now reinstall with the Quicktime 7.1.2 update and, Voila, you are done, restart and enjoy. :)

I tried using AppDelete as per your instructions, and then re-installing 7.1.2.

But when I run the 7.1.2 installer, it still tells me that I cannot install due to having a newer version installed.

Am I supposed to do anything else after deleting 7.1.3 via AppDelete? The system obviously thinks 7.1.3 is still installed. I'm afraid to re-boot and perhaps hose my system.

You must have skip something, lets retrace, you drag the icon of Quicktime who is in the Applications folder to the icon of AppDelete in the Dock, there must be a prompt asking you if you want to delete Quicktime and all dependences, you click OK. and empty the trash, then you run the 7.1.2 installation and reboot, thats all, remember is the icon of Quicktime in the Application folder not the one in the Dock. :D

You must have skip something, lets retrace, you drag the icon of Quicktime who is in the Applications folder to the icon of AppDelete in the Dock, there must be a prompt asking you if you want to delete Quicktime and all dependences, you click OK. and empty the trash, then you run the 7.1.2 installation and reboot, thats all, remember is the icon of Quicktime in the Application folder not the one in the Dock. :D

Hi Elviejo,

Thanks for your reply. You know what? I didn't empty the trash, because I was afraid if something went wrong with the 7.1.2 installation, I wouldn't be able to go back. I figured leaving the files in the trash would be okay, since you didn't specifically mention emptying the trash.

But what I could do is copy the files in the trash (which is mainly just the Quicktime app anyways) to a USB stick, then empty the trash and proceed with the 7.1.2 install.

I'll suck it up and give it a go. :D

Thanks

Okay, unfortunately it's still not working. Let me go over my exact steps-

1. Downloaded AppDelete and QT 7.1.2 installer

2. Ran AppDelete, moved the icon in the dock to keep it there

3. Quit AppDelete (no difference either way)

4. Opened Applications (Shift-Cmd-A), dragged 'Quicktime Player' application to the AppDelete icon.

5. Got prompt to confirm if I want to delete Quicktime.

6. Hit 'Yes'.

7. Made a zip file of the Quicktime app for backup

8. Deleted trash (so Quicktime is gone)

9. Ran the 7.1.2 installer.

10. When I get to the point where I choose an install HD, there's a red exclamation point on my hard drive. The message is "You cannot install QuickTime on this volume. A nerwer version of this software is already installed."

Am I supposed to use a special 7.1.2 installer, or just the regular one?

Thanks for the help-

Hmm, that is exactly what I did and it work smoothly, I have to say I did that in a newly fresh installation, right after fixing my audio and display; let me explain:

1.- Install from JaS 10.4.8 with X11, JaS 10.4.8 combo update and loginwindow fix only ( in your system, maybe, you have to choose some of the semthek or mifki packages), reboot to GUI.

2.- Fix my audio and installed GMA900 ( that is what my system use ).

3.- Installed AppDelete, run it and select "keep in dock", close the program.

4.- Drag the icon of QuickTime player in the Applications folder to the icon of AppDelete in the dock.

5.-Say "OK" at the prompt if you want to delete Quicktime player and all of it associated items.

6.- Empty the trash and installed the 7.1.2 package.

7.- Delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext.

8.- Repair permissions and reboot.

It never complaint about having a new version installed, if you look at step 5, it must ask you if you want to delete QuickTime and ( this is important) all the associated items, if you don't get that prompt you are leaving some files behind and that is why you can't install the 7.1.2 package. Tell me if this work, I'm planning to make a new installation in another computer tomorrow and I'm going to check all the steps, if it work for me it must work for you too. Cheers :)

Well, back again, as I told you, today I installed JaS 10.4.8 in a new computer, this time with Semthex pkg., then follow the steps to reinstall Quicktime and everything go smooth, I really don't know why you can't, you must be missing something, I hope you succed. ^_^

P.S. I made another installation in different. configuration, no problem to uninstall 7.1.3 and install 7.1.2, you don't even need to repair permissions. Installed to date in 3 different configurations and , as I say, no problem

Hi God-of-gamblers

1. Downloaded AppDelete and QT 7.1.2 installer

2. Ran AppDelete, moved the icon in the dock to keep it there

3. Quit AppDelete (no difference either way)

According to Rammjet

you must download QT 7.0.1 first

Not QT 7.1.2

Here is the Link to the Download QT 7.0.1 reinstaller

http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/7991...ReInstaller.dmg

After downloading QT 7.0.1

and installing QT 7.0.1

Then you download and install QT 7.1.2

Katmail

Reinstaller 7.0.1 don't work with 7.1.3, if you follow that path, you screw up your installation, the best you can get is a system with only the desktop because the finder don't work, after that, even if you reinstall the 7.1.3, you only got a system with a lot of glitches. I think the problem he was having was that he have 10.4.7, so he don't have a clean install of 7.1.3 but an upgrade, to probe that the other system works see the attached picture. :hysterical:post-35379-1163472130_thumb.png