Atheros AR3980 supposed to work OOB?

fluxus123

7 posts in this topic

Hello bright community!

I have just got myself a WiFi card with Atheros AR3980 chipset (devID 168c,30 - Sub Ven 106b Sub Dev 009a), which I thought was supposed to work out of the box(?), as it's the same that Apple uses natively (checked the info.plist in AirportAtheros40.kext)(?)

I plugged in the card, restarted, then tried to set it up in System Pref under Network by adding the device with the "+" but WIFI doesn't show up, only my 2x ethernet ports and bluetooth.

In system profiler under PCI I just see this:

pci168c,30:

Type: Other Network Controller

Driver Installed: No

MSI: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot 7

Vendor ID: 0x168c

Device ID: 0x0030

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x106b

Subsystem ID: 0x009a

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

When using Kextstat in Terminal it tells me that the corresponding kexts are loaded:

113    1 0xffffff7f82998000 0xe6000    0xe6000    com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family (1200.12.2) A08E69B1-9559-358F-A363-9083B344DA10 <112 50 22 8 7 6 5 4 3 1>

114    0 0xffffff7f82a7e000 0x14c000   0x14c000   com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 (700.74.5) 448A2423-55B3-3033-BE5F-CB19CB92D35E <113 50 12 7 5 4 3 1>

In IOReg it shows to be connected under an odd tree/device/address - not the usual I have seen (RP0x etc) I have attached the IOReg file below.

Do I need to edit my dsdt to make this work? I have attached my current DSDT as well. 

Oh, turning on dsdt mask for Lan and Wifi in clover also didn't work. Hitting a brick wall here. 

Thanks a lot for all your helpful comments and suggestions already!

post-1823610-0-05335700-1489692856_thumb.png

Atheros Issue IORegistry.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

post-1823610-0-21209500-1489692928_thumb.png

'not sure why you've posted twice the same thread. User error I guess...

AR9380-based wireless cards normally work OOB indeed.

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2120-inventory-of-supported-and-unsupported-wireless-cards/

The kexts may not load for several reasons:

1) hardware disabled in BIOS

2) unwanted/incorrect kext patch

3) clashing multiple copies of the kext

4) erroneous entry in boot loader config

I cannot see anything wrong in the DSDT that would block the card from working. You could try to rename device H000 to ARPT, but it should not make any difference.

Maybe you can post a zipped copy of your Clover EFI folder that contains config.plist + injected kexts...

Hi Hervé!

Thanks for your reply!

...double posting???  :poster_oops: When I pressed the post new thread button the first time nothing happened. Was a bit like a frozen browser. When I clicked it again the loading bar started doing something and successfully posted. Not sure what happened... 

Thanks for your suggestions.

"The kexts may not load for several reasons:"

using kextstat shows that the Atheros40.kext is actually loaded (see first post)

1. I cannot remember having anything disabled in BIOS relating to WiFi

2. no kext patch done in config relating to this, at least i don't think so, as never needed it before, ethernet was working out of the box and I only just got the card.

Config.plist is attached to confirm

3. I don't have any additional copies of the kext. 

4. as in 2. not that I am aware off, but what do I know... config.plist is attached. If you spot any anomalies it would be great to know! 

I am not injecting any kexts, other than fakesmc and RehabMan/Slice HW sensors. "Other" folder is empty too.

If there is nothing wrong in DSDT then it must be bios, or config.plist I guess? any other digging I could do via terminal by grepping for things?

config.plist.zip

remove connection in systempreferences

go to library/preferences/systemconfiguration and delete files about airport, network

run it

attachicon.gifOlarila.command.zip

reboot

create new wifi conection

try it

hey maldon,

thanks for the suggestion.

I removed the files shown in screenshot below, then ran your script, rebooted, but unfortunately it's still not showing up under system preferences/network/"+"

post-1823610-0-87480100-1489712160.png

post-1823610-0-19273900-1489712173_thumb.png

Hmm, had a quick look at that Clover config file... There sure is a lot of ACPI patches, including one for Airport. Do you need that? Also, you appear to have configured Clover to boot without cache. I'd start by giving a serious look to those deleted ACPI patches.

I actually only just added thoses fix masks before the last restart to see if any of those would fix the airport problem. Normally I don't use or need any of them. The only essential fixes have been made in dsdt.

I also just reactivated caches. I thought disabling means it always loads fresh, so any changes show immediate effect? So not getting confused why certain tweaks haven't been applied, as it might load settings from cache? Similar to nokextcache? Might have just made that up lol

try in other pciE slot

load optmized defaults in bios

Tried every slot and booted with defaults. All the same :(

took it out, put it in the dishwasher at eco cycle then baked dry @ 180C. back in and now fully recognised as Airport Extreme. 

JK obvs: missed a slot right next to my gfx card. who would have thought that last slot would work after the first 4 didn't do the trick? 

Now latched on to PEGP@3 under GFX0... AML stuff sure is strange.

Thanks a million for your help and suggestions guys!

• Like 1