Boot hanging at Apple Logo / +++++++

tarasis

4 posts in this topic

I tried to boot into my Hackintosh for the first time in a 2 months but it is hanging at the Apple Logo.

When I turn on verbose (Clover) it hangs after printing a bunch of pluses / +++++++++. I tried to boot into Safe mode but same results. I also can't boot backup clone (uses same Clover install).

I am trying to remember if when I last used OSX I updated Clover or not (no changes made to config.plist since last year, nor any hardware changes to the machine). Certainly till then it had been working fine with 10.11 & then 10.12

Is there any easy way to create a Clover updater that doesn't require going through creating a full installer?

I can work inside the EFI partition from Windows if there is anything I might be able to do from there.

Tried updating from 39xx to 4035 (manually copying files from the Clover ISO to the EFI folder) but still hangs in the same way.

I have been using OsxAptioFix2Drv

No change with KernelPM set. It's not something I've needed previously. (Running 10.12 ATM, Clover docs suggest this is for 10.8.5 and 10.9)

Now trying Verbose and Safe Mode together is sometimes causing the computer to reboot.

Text on boot:

OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Occasionally you'll see "p" or "pani" and a solid cursor block. So its panicing very early.

One of thing of note. While it's sitting on the +'s the fan is getting faster & slower and occasionally I can hear the HD spinning (there are a mix of SSDs and HD's in the computer).

-- Edit 1

Tried deleting the kext cache manually. but no change.

• Like 1

Went back to a much older version of Clover (3922, thank you backups) and it still wouldn't boot.

Then I remembered that a little while ago I let AISuite in Windows tune / overclock the CPU (i7 4790k) from the stock 4GHZ per core to 4.5GHZ. It also dropped the ram speed from 1600 to 1066 and set the BLCK speed to 125, from 100.

Resetting those changes in the BIOS allowed OSX / Clover 3922 to boot!

So was it because there was a CPU key section in the config.plist which had values that didn't match what the bios was using? or because XMPDetection was set to false (and AISuite had disabled the XMP profile in the BIOS) ... or what I wonder.

Just as an addendum ... 

Reading the Clover config.plist docs, it was that the BusSpeedKHz was set to the old value.

To quote the docs "If this value is not correct, the kernel will not start at all.". After the bios change there was a 250khz difference.

Also having the FrequencyMHz set can "cause system instability ....".

So there we go.

• Like 1