Snow Leopard on Toshiba Satellite A200-1s5?

7 posts in this topic

You should certainly be able to install SL with a tool like myHack. That'll create the USB installer and provides a basic default pack that you can use to obtain a minimal installation. Then you can add your own kexts for hardware components such as LAN, wifi, audio, etc.

Use myHack v3.1.2 for SL. You can use v3.3.1 for Lion up to Mavericks.

The Radeon HD2600 should be supported all the way to Sierra but you'll then need to upgrade your CPU to a Penryn model that's SSE4 capable. Otherwise, you can go all the way to El Capitan on a Merom C2D CPU. Intel 965GM chipset supports Meron and Penryn FSB 533/667/800 C2D CPUs up to T9x00 Penryn models.

Oh -and in case you ignored it- no Intel wireless cards are supported under OS X; you'd have to replace any Intel card such as the common 3945ABG on Crestline platforms by a compatible model (Atheros, Broadcom, etc.)

Nawcom's ModCD will let you boot a SL retail DVD. Otherwise, yes, there are some methods to create a USB installer from Windows but I've never tried them. Seemed a little complicated. You may prefer a Virtual Machine.

Agreed, Nawcom's ModCD is recommended as some old systems don't actually support booting from USB. In this case you won't need a VM, as you will need to use SL unless you get a DVD ISO which allows booting from USBs or if you restore the OS X Install files to a DVD.

Good luck,

- Matt

The Merom C2D T5250 CPU fitted to this Tosh is fully compatible with the vanilla kernel of SL and other OS X versions up to El Capitan.

The Merom C2D T5250 CPU fitted to this Tosh is fully compatible with the vanilla kernel of SL and other OS X versions up to El Capitan.

Sorry, that was my mistake. I misread your post. You said that he would have to upgrade his CPU on Sierra, not outright in general. I'll edit my post. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.