built-in wifi, having trouble getting it to work

maco55

5 posts in this topic

I was able to get everything working with my system except the built-in wifi. I have an Asus Z170i mini-itx motherboard and I cannot find any guides that help make this work. It doesn't have any extra pci-e slots to get a another wifi card. I tried a 150mbps USB adapter and it worked, but i get only 5mb/s download speed. And overall the internet is slow with it.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: should I try to swap Asus's wifi with this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atheros-QCNFA222-AR5BWB222-802-11a-b-g-n-2-4-5GHz-BT4-0-WIFI-WLAN-Card-4K380-M-2-/272410262909?hash=item3f6ceabd7d:g:EbYAAOSwzaJX~b1-

No, you should go with Broadcom for wifi/bt combo cards as Apple uses those combo cards in their Macs. If you don't care about having Bluetooth included then you can go with something like an Atheros AR9280 (dunno there's an M.2 version) but that's only 300Mbps 11n. Apple has only used Broadcom since supporting 11ac and putting wifi and Bluetooth into one card which is why your options are limited in OS X when it comes to that type of wireless support.

Someone on another forum has a whole thread covering the replacement of the card in your motherboard with a supported Broadcom one.

As for your USB wifi card, yeah USB wireless support can suck in OS X since it's third party only. Let me know what model it is and I can see what I can find if you're not up to replacing the current wifi card. I personally stay away from USB wifi myself.

One of the best choices is to opt for an Apple BCM94360CD card (802.11a/b/g/n/ac, up to 1300Mbps). It also includes a Bluetooth 4.0 USB module. Works OOB since it's an Apple product and fits into any Hackintosh with a mini-PCIe or M.2 adapter (laptops) or PCIe adapter card (desktop).

Alternatively, look for an M.2 card based on Broadcom BCM4352  (ex: Dell DW1560) but you'll probably need to patch the Broadcom kext.

This? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM94360CD-802-11ac-WiFi-card-Bluetooth-4-0-for-Apple-27-iMac-AirPort-/172268316044?hash=item281bfde58c:g:kBgAAOSwGXtXgLrj

It looks too long to fit the enclosure, here and it has 4 antenna pins while the motherboard has only 2 antenna wires.

Thoughts?

Indeed, the Apple cards are the size of a full mini-PCIe cards. Since you appear to need a half-size card with 2 connectors only, look for a DW1560 or equivalent.

Thanks!

I ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Broadcom-BCM94352Z-DW1560-802-11a-b-g-n-ac-WLAN-Bluetooth-4-0-M-2-NGFF-Card-/172251182880?hash=item281af87720:g:ai8AAOSwu1VW4OZR

Hopefully it'll work....

It'd be better if you would avoid posting links to that site since they're not welcome here. You can browse through all DW1560, DW1550 and other Broadcom BCM94352 threads available here to get your card working. Basically, you'll need to apply patches to the BCM4360 kext.

Yeah, fixed. ;-)