Steam launch fails with Bus error: 10

hellslinger

1 post in this topic

It's been a few years since I've visited or posted here. I've found a lot of great help yet again.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 on a QEMU/KVM with host PCIe passthrough for a GTX 970. My host machine is running Arch Linux with vfio extensions.

It took most of the weekend, but I finally got the Nvidia driver working with the card, and full video acceleration is working for video playback and 3D. I installed Torchlight II from a standalone installer and it works just fine.

For some reason, steam will just not run. It fails with Bus error: 10 . When I boot up in safe mode and try to run it, I can see in dmesg there are a few CODE SIGNING errors related to the steam_osx executable. I've tried replacing the signature with the codesign utility, but then the process seg faults with code 11. 

If this were on linux, I could see where it is failing with strace and gdb, but since I can't get debug symbols for any of the OS stuff here, I'm wondering what someone more familiar with Mac OS would use?

More to the solution: Is there a way, like repair permissions, to verify or repair the signing of the OS libs on Mac OS? Assuming the installation media was corrupted, is there a way to recover?