10.4.6 (Jas) "Gray Apple" ?

Ireland

16 posts in this topic

I have installed 10.4.6 (Jas) on a Dell Inspiron 5100 (Intel SSE2). I wiped the drive using kill disk, then I reformatted the partition to FAT32 using Acronis-Disk-Director (which was very quick! Should the reformatting to FAT32 be that quick?) I then bootup up into the Install DVD, where I zero'd out the partition, and reformatted to Mas OS Extended (Journaled). I then did the custom install option, and I installed all the nessesary parts (as I pvt. messaged a few people and they all agreed I did that part right, SSE2 Intel etc.). When I boot up sometimes it boots up fine, but mostly it just hangs on showing me that "Gray Apple" forever, with no HDD noise, and no spinning wheel.

Please help me as I'm new to this and I've tried to intsall it four times already. Booting up is very unreliable, it's like I have to trick in into starting up.

-Ireland

boot again, but when it displays that little Darwin boot loader line, hit enter and type -v then hit enter again. then see where it freezes and post it again.

boot again, but when it displays that little Darwin boot loader line, hit enter and type -v then hit enter again. then see where it freezes and post it again.

How am I supposed to type that in when it jumps straight to the "Gray Apple"?

EDIT>> I pressed F8 on startup > then I typed "-v" in. Less than half the screen filling up with text:

hi mem tramsp at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstripe: 61712 free pages

mig_table_max_displ = 71

CPU identification: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM EST

HTTT: 0 core per package; 1 logical cpu per package

CPU extended features:

Local APIC discovered and enabled

Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

[RTCLOCK] frequency 2390000000 (2392021900)

ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993

The Regents of the University of California. All rights resevered.

using 655 buffer headers and 655 cluster IO buffer headers

there shoudl be a short boot menu before that, but if there is not, hold Option down at startup. i believe that it how you get it to show up.

ok, what part did it freeze at? that is critical in finding that error

there shoudl be a short boot menu before that, but if there is not, hold Option down at startup. i believe that it how you get it to show up.

ok, what part did it freeze at? that is critical in finding that error

Did you see my edited post??

does it always freeze at that point? or does it change, that seems pretty short into the boot sequence. you said it does get through occationally though? i have similar problems in VMware, but those are cuased by different parts. i'v always had it boot more stably after the install proscess is complete. you might also have to specify your platform type. i think this can tell you how:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...he_boot_options

try the Platform=x86pc or ACPI at the begining fo the boot and see if that works better. just put it in where you put in -v

ill be back in like 20, mins, i gotta go pic up my sis

I wonder has it something to do with the fact that I formatted the partition as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled), should I just left it as FAT32 when I formatted it to FAT32. I tried typing in the things you suggested (Platform=x86pc or ACPI), both times it booted in, but both times the trackpad didn't work. As I said, sometimes it just works, this is what comfuses me mostly! Why does it just boot somtimes, no bull, and other times, it just reaches the gray Apple and no furthur. The first time I tried to install yesterday, I never reformatted the partition to FAT32, and just booted into "Disk Utility" and reformatted the whole drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled. Did I mess everything up beyond repair by doing that?

i would think that OSX would run better on Mac OS Extended (journaled) than Fat32. + idk if you can run it off of a fat32 partition. either way that is strange the way it only works some of the time. maybe there are some suggestions under the compatability section of the wiki for your computer.

umm, unless you have a cd, windows is gone

It's not my computer I'm doing this for someone, I think they have the disk, but I was just checking.

Any other suggestions on getting this thing to be realiable. I checked the Wiki, but I can't find anything that helped me. :D

hi mem tramsp at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstripe: 61712 free pages

mig_table_max_displ = 71

CPU identification: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM EST

HTTT: 0 core per package; 1 logical cpu per package

CPU extended features:

Local APIC discovered and enabled

[RTCLOCK] frequency 2390000000 (2392021900)

ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993

The Regents of the University of California. All rights resevered.

using 655 buffer headers and 655 cluster IO buffer headers

Ireland never go the next step

Started CPU 01

IOAPIC:Versions vectors 0:23

ACPI: system state [ S0 S4 S5] [s0]

Cannot save or restore SSE/SSE2 in the Motherboard Error

Anyone else know what may help Ireland

Regards

Katmail