HFS+ Partition Error - again

lotus49

6 posts in this topic

I have installed Tiger on my laptop. I moved the existing XP and FC4 partitions to the end of the disk leaving ~7GB free.

I dd'ed the tiger image onto /dev/hda (not skipping any at all - I'll come to this later) and rebooted. Tiger booted fine, and when I restored my MBR (which I had backed up) my XP and FC4 partitions showed up and worked fine. So far so good.

I then tried to add an entry to the /etc/grub.conf file along these lines:

title Mac OS X Tiger

rootnoverify (hd0,3)

chainloader +1

and tried to boot into Tiger from grub but I got the dreaded "HFS+ Partition Error" message. It is worth pointing out that although the Tiger partition is physically the first on the disk, it's the fourth partition, hence the hd0,3 parameter above.

There obviously isn't anything too serious wrong as I can boot XP and FC4 by restoring the MBR, and boot Tiger by writing the first 512 bytes of the tiger image onto the start of /dev/hda, but I cannot boot all three with the same MBR.

I tried rewriting the image skipping the first 32256 bytes, but this didn't work at all, the Tiger partition wouldn't boot at all (regardless of which MBR I used) giving the HFS+ Partition Error.

I have tried using Partition Table Doctor to restore my partitions without rewriting the original MBR but it just turned the whole disk into one hfs partition ( so obviously I didn't save the 'fixed' partition table since it was clearly bollocks).

I saw the wiki entry that said:

If you have an "HFS+ partition error", copy all the files from /usr/standalone/i386 of the Darwin CD to a partition in NTFS, FAT or ext but not hfs on your hard disk, and put this in menu.lst :

title OSX_X86

rootnoverify (hd0,2) <- replace hd0,2 by the partition where you have copied chainloader files.

makeactive

chainloader /chain0

but I have to confess, it wasn't clear to me whether this meant a new partition not used for anything else.

Can anyone help me or suggest my next step?

TIA

Kinda figured out this for myself while playing with partitions. Your osx partition needs to be "Primary" "Active" and your XP and anyother partition needs to be logical. You'll be able to launch osx and xp from darwin if you do that.

Kinda figured out this for myself while playing with partitions. Your osx partition needs to be "Primary" "Active" and your XP and anyother partition needs to be logical. You'll be able to launch osx and xp from darwin if you do that.

Thanks for your help. I currently have four logical partitions so that is probably the problem. I'll try your helpful suggestions.