macOS Sierra + AMD R9 280x?

Shiggitay1

6 posts in this topic

Hey all. I'm not exactly new here, but I don't post that much. I recently installed a fresh copy of Sierra on my i7-3770k (mobo is an Asrock Z77 Pro 3), and all is well except for my GPU. I have an AMD R9 280x (ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5) and I'm aware that it's difficult to get OS X of any version to boot it directly without having the Intel GPU boot the system first. I'm aware of a user whose name I can't think of's scripts and whatnot to inject device IDs etc into Clover so it boots up as you'd expect with my 280x, but that's not working. Can anyone help me get mine working properly? I've tried to go through the personality tutorial etc but I couldn't get it working right.

It's important that I have utilization of my discrete GPU because I have a BlackMagic Design Intensity Pro 4k capture card out for delivery, and I'd like to use it and then use BMD's NLE (NonLinearEditor) called DaVinci Resolve to edit the videos I make. Currently I'm able to boot up with the onboard GPU as main, and then just have my three displays use the 280x, but the main GPU is still my HD 4000.

I hope I'm making sense here..

Thanks in advance,

Shiggitay1

With the Z75 Pro3 is better to enable Ultra Fast Boot in order to have a full UEFI boot (ensure that your GPU has UEFI support, you can check it using GPU-Z).

Inject ATI or DSDT injection is needed, i had a HD7970 with flashed UEFI GOP ROM (identical to the r9 280x) and it was perfect. 

There are no special settings. Just insert GPU and make sure that Sierra is correct installed. Start with one monitor connected. Turn off ATY Inject in clover and turn on CSM in Bios (if you have that function) 

Hmm... would I need to reinstall to get it working then?