Help With Booting/Installation (Includes picture)

MrNaPaLm32

7 posts in this topic

Alright First I'll start off with my hardware setup

CPU: AMD Athlon 3700+ Socket 939

RAM: 2048mb Patriot DDR Dual channel memory

Motherboard: Asus A8N Sli Premium

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Extreme Music

Channel 1 IDE: Western Digital 20GB IDE HDD

Western Digital 40GB IDE HDD (I'm attempting to install on this one)

Channel 2 IDE: Sony DVD Rom Drive

CD-RW Drive on random manufacturer(Not important)

OSX Version: 10.4.6 JAS Patched

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, So basically, I get the "still waiting for root device" prompt when installing without any arguments for the boot.

So I went ahead and put in

-v rd=disk0s1

So a different screen comes up, this time I get a panic error, with my Western digital 20Gb as the selected hardware. (Screen)

So I'd preferably like to know how I can install OSX with my current IDE setup.

And even better would be a little step by step thing on what patches to get and settings to change etc. to get OSX up and running as much as possible. ( I know my way around computers).

Thanks a Ton if you help me. :D

-Nate

Put the DVD drive you are going to boot the DVD in and the hard drive you are going to install OSX to onto the same IDE channel. Make the hard drive master and the DVD drive slave using jumpers, not cable select. You can rearrange them after you install.

The partition to which you install OSX should be primary (not logical/extended), given an ID=AF and made active. If you are installing to the whole drive, format that drive as FAT32 to establish the MBR partition scheme.

During the install of OSX, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and Erase (format) the partition as MacOS Extended Journaled (HFS+). If you are installing to the whole disk, select the primary partition which is below the hard drive and Erase that primary partition. Erasing the hard drive will change the partition scheme from MBR to GUID, and that is not desirable.

When the installation gets to the point of clicking the Install button, first click the Customize button and choose packages for your computer. Click the little arrow next to the patches category to reveal the individual packages. Select Intel or AMD packages, not both. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor. Select the Combo update to install the latest version of OSX. Select other packages only if you are sure your computer can use them.

JaS 10.4.6 install DVD

Do I have to keep the drive configuration that way after I install? Or can I put it back to the way it was?

Make the hard drive master and the DVD drive slave using jumpers, not cable select. You can rearrange them after you install.