10.4.8 Install DVD Great BUT...

moonislune

5 posts in this topic

I think the efforts by JAS and others to get the new 10.4.8 DVD out are superb, but I don't think we should drop efforts on compiling the kernel at home and discussing it online.

I mean who wants to DL 4.8 GB of data when maybe only a few hundred megabytes are actually needed (from the 10.4.8 update). I wish others would step up in this community, (like JAS, Vitality, & Semthex have stepped up ) and really work on a nice wiki for compiling at home.

If we compile and run at home, the waters seem to be much calmer as far as copyright goes and the DL is a lot faster.

P.S. Many who have tried compiling on SSE3, NX, HPET and multiple combinations of the above get stuck at stupid diskarb errors or encyrption not kicking in. Let's share some knowledge and put our pcs back into the home user's hands.

i'm a coding /computer language idiot.. how can i help to compiling the kernel myself :compress:;

I think you'd be surprised. There really isnt a whole lot of coding left to do. Just working out the final kinks. I think our first step is figuring out the diskarb and similar errors. If JAS got it to work on his DVD, I have a feeling that home compiling isnt far behind.

I think you'd be surprised. There really isnt a whole lot of coding left to do. Just working out the final kinks. I think our first step is figuring out the diskarb and similar errors. If JAS got it to work on his DVD, I have a feeling that home compiling isnt far behind.

:compress::gathering: i tell u a secret... i learn c, c++, vistual basic, java, hugs in my life... but i never understand any of those.... :gathering::gathering:

Guest goodtime

I've posted all I know. I haven't found anyone besides JaS and the elite Kernel programmers who compiled it successfully and got it to boot to GUI yet.

There is something that we don't know and we haven't overcome the learning curve. Some pieces in rolling your own Kernel are missing. Maybe it should remain this way for awhile. Maybe it should be disclosed for us to learn more about the GUI and Kernel.

Luckily, JaS and others have lead us to victory. March on.

GT