Applications with identity crisis

Proteo

5 posts in this topic

Since I had mi brand new 10.4.8 kernel up and running, I tried to do some testing. So I downloaded Geekbench (tried both 32 and 64 bit versions) and after extracting the files (geekbench and geekbench-rosetta) I end with two unusable files that are being reported as "document" in the info window. I did:

/Volumes/Geekbench 2006 proteo$ file geekbench

and this is what I got:

geekbench: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
geekbench (for architecture ppc):	   Mach-O executable ppc
geekbench (for architecture i386):	  Mach-O executable i386

As you can see they're reported as executable files, but I cannot run them by double-clicking (they're opened in my default text editor and all I can see is garbled text) and if I try to execute them from the command line this is what i get:

/Volumes/Geekbench 2006 proteo$ geekbench

-bash: geekbench: command not found

Now, this is not new (I mean I'm quite sure this problem is not related to the new kernel, since I had this problem before). It happened about a week ago when I tried to run rDesktop client to access my Windows machine. It installed OK, but when I tried to use it behaved exactly like this, and before that, when I tried to use MacFreePOPs.

I'm absolutely clueless about this, so any hint will be greatly appreciated.

./ just tells the shell (i.e., the command line) to look for the specified executable (in this case geekbench) in the current directory. Most Unix variants (including Mac OS X) don't look for executables in the current directory for security reasons; you have to tell 'em to look in the current directory explicitly.