Successful install on Sandy Bridge, but always have a long pause at boot

weezul

4 posts in this topic

Hey,

So I've managed to upgrade my system to sierra (mainly for Pro Tools, it's graphical bugs are gone! yay!) I used the usb builder on this forum (thanks!)

However, when booting the installer, and now when booting normally I am left with a 2x 60s countdown before i get to my login screen.

The error is :

busy timeout(0), (60s) kextd wait (0); 'IOAHCIDevice'

When booting the installer, the timeout is 240s, and also had AppleACPICPU before the 'IOHCIDevice' bit. I was convinced it was stuck, as after the second time, the computer would reboot. I can't remember what I changed to make it boot instead of restart, but now after 2x timeouts, it will continue to the installer.

So now, my system always takes 120s to boot. It's only a minor niggle, but was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I was told about changing OsxAptioFixDrv2 for the old version, but my machine needs v2 to boot, or I get memory error straight away. Both were in the clover>UEFI 64 bit folder.

My machine is a z77-Ds3H motherboard, with a sandy bridge i7 2600 (non K). The board is ivy bridge but it supports my SB processor. I've had to change from Mac Pro 3,1 to iMac 14,2 but my PCIe cards still work (nVidia graphics, RME audio card). I don't have a DSDT or anything special regarding power management. It's just the usual Clover Configurator stuff carried over from my other install (Yosemite).

Thanks for any insight people may have

Hello there,

The iMac12,2 system definition is more appropriate for your CPU.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.4-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

Your error indicates that a drive connected in ahci mode is busy at that moment. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for this particular problem but you could experiment, for instance, if you have multiple drives connected, try to remove them and use only the one with the OS, use the primary sata ports from Intel. Or you could check in the bios if the ahci mode is enabled properly.

Best of luck.

Thanks,

Yeah I did wonder about the drives, but it wasn't happening with any other Mac OS before this one, and can't really use the computer without the drives connected. They are all internal SSD, one m.2. and they all show in Disk Utility.

Pretty sure my ACHI settings are all good, as I had to migrate away from software raid a few years ago for Mac OS, but I will double check. As I say, it;s an inconvenience at best and the system seems to work fine once it boots. Will change my smbios to 12,2 as well just to be safe. And have a deeper search into all things AHCI. Cheers

Just an update, today the computer booted perfectly. And my Windows 10 drive showed up in finder. In all the chaos of having a different mSATA drive corrupt, which led me to try sierra, that drive was missing the whole time, and in verbose must have been the drive with 'alignment error'. Anyway, today I notice my clover is showing that drive again, and it's in the finder. So it really must have been that drive! Thanks for the help

• Like 1