Any updates with running OS X on low-end tabs?

4 posts in this topic

I know there isn't much news regarding tablet support apart from Surfaces, but has anyone tried running OS X on a cheapo Windows 8/10 tab lately? It would be preferable if the likes of Yosemite or El Cap would work on said devices, but any recent version may do provided there are kexts or other such tweaks for those.

The reason why I asked is because a friend of mine recently expressed his interest in trying out the OS on a cheap, low-end device, but is more or less unsure on where to start.

I second the OP. Personally for me it's pretty annoying to carry 15" MBP in my bagpack while traveling especially at dangerous places where I can get robbed. So I would prefer to leave my primary machine at home and use something lightweight like a chinese x86 tablet. But no idea which one is going to work with OSX, those guys on aliexpress don't always show detailed specs.

• Like 1

I second the OP. Personally for me it's pretty annoying to carry 15" MBP in my bagpack while traveling especially at dangerous places where I can get robbed. So I would prefer to leave my primary machine at home and use something lightweight like a chinese x86 tablet. But no idea which one is going to work with OSX, those guys on aliexpress don't always show detailed specs.

Theoretically a touchscreen kext can be made as sources and microcode for certain controllers like the GSL1680 are available on Github, but other than that, we're basically wading on uncharted territory.