Can someone point me in the right direction?

kaydubs

9 posts in this topic

Hi. I just put a fresh install of Vista on my laptop. I plan on dual booting, but with both OS' on the same hard drive. Is this possible? Right now, there are two volumes on my PC. The C:\ drive is 65.9 GB and the D:\ is 8.59 GB. The D:\ drive was originally the "HP_RECOVERY" drive that was pre-installed on my laptop when I recieved it but I wiped it out with a format. I was wondering, is there any way I can get rid of that drive and add the rest of the space back to C:\? Sorry if that's a noob question, I am pretty new to this stuff.

Anyway, I am currently downloading JaS's 10.4.7 iso and I have Acronis Disk Director Suite installed. Is there anything else I need to know? Can someone point me in the right direction to the tutorial that suits my needs? Thanks in advance. Sorry for the noobness once again.

you need two partitions(volumes). one for Vista and One for OSX. Vista uses NTFS, which OSX can read, but cannot be installed on. OSX used HFS+, which cannot normally be read by windows.

if i were you i woudl give at least 10GB to OSX, so make the scond one bigger in Acronis and then clear its formatting.

the wiki is an amazing tool (http://wiki.osx86project.org/)

-absolutly amazing

Alright, well to keep this as short and least-embarassing as possible...

I was partitioning my hard-drive last nite with Acronis and right in the middle of the partitioning, I got an error and my PC automatically rebooted itself. Upon reboot, I got an error that said MBR Error 1. Since this was a fresh install of Vista, I forgot to place the boot.ini and other two files (forgot the names) in C:\...well after much hassling I finally got to it with removable media and workarounds on the Vista install disc, but after rebooting, it didn't seem to fix the problem.

Now, I don't know too much when it comes to command prompt, but I managed to recover the 75 GB hard-drive and now I just have a huge disk of unallocated space and the only volume being my DVD-ROM drive. What I need now is someone to give me the commands to type in command prompt to get my hard-drive back, so I guess I can just reinstall Vista (because getting my data back is out of the question) and use a damn program that works (Norton Magic Partition). Thanks in advance.