Resolving the shutdown problem

Needy

4 posts in this topic

Hello there. :D

In this topic I'll present you a different fix for the shutdown problem* on gigabyte motherboards. It may work on other motherboards as well but I haven't tested it. You're most welcome to join me on this "journey" but testing it. :)

First of all, let's begin with some useful information.

What's SMBus and what's its purpose in life?

The System Management Bus (abbreviated to SMBus or SMB) is a single-ended simple two-wire bus for the purpose of light weight communication. !* Most commonly it is found in computer motherboards for communication with the power source for ON/OFF instructions.

- copied from google.com

The above information indicates that the absence of SMBus device in DSDT will make the system management bus useless. Consequently, there will be a shutdown problem.

Now, the information you were seeking from the beginning.

How to fix this problem?

The fix for this problem is very simple. I didn't invent it, it was there for a long time but it was not explained.

• Method

You could patch the DSDT manually by using the SBUS fix from DSDT editor patches. However, if you don't have it here's a link.
    http://olarila.com/Patches/Desktop/SMBUS.txt
  • Method

If you're using clover it's even easier. All you have to do is to edit your config and add the following line under ACPI - DSDT - Fixes
    <key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
    <true/>

Final configuration should something like the following.
    	<key>ACPI</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>DSDT</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>Fixes</key>
    			<dict>
                                   <key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
                                   <true/>
    			</dict>
    		</dict>
    	</dict>

If the above methods didn't work or you are not pleased with the results and you have a Gigabyte Motherboard then you can try a more advanced DSDT patching following instructions from the link below.

Instruction Nr. 16, _PTS Method

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/196771-ga-ex58-and-ga-x58a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

Best regards.

* - Everything is in off state but the "PC".
!* - Important information.
... - Other stuff you have added before.

• 5 months later...

Does this patch work on a GA-z97n Wifi to solve my shutdown problem? (Leds on 10-15 second till power off)

Thanks!

Hello there,

You could try.

However, 10-15 sec is normal behaviour.

Best regards.