sudo fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 -- ERROR

sdelano

3 posts in this topic

Right now I can only boot into OSX from the install DVD. If I take the DVD out I get and Invalid Operating System! error.

I figured this might have something to do with the mbr because yesterday I tried to install ubuntu, and it therefore installed GRUB on my HDD and ever since I have been unable to boot into OSX without the install DVD. I also tried this:

This thread

And I got a similar error about /usr/standalone/i386/boot0

What can i do to fix this?

Thanks,

Stephen

• 1 year later...

Joys of Ubuntu - or insufficient fore-planning in the event of unseen disaster! Welcome to the world of... Yes, I had a similar error message at one point, though not for a few days now, and wonder if it might be a route cause.

Well, I'm sure you know about all that. It's nothing if not an adventure in insanelymacland, with many kind fellow travelers. Almost every single time I hit a Darwin or Windows boot problem I am able to solve both with their respective install DVDs and a few commands, but not after Ubuntu, which caused me a number of very weird problems (version 7.10 is fairly compelling reason to switch to Linux). Like you, I am only able to boot off the DVD. I formatted the Linux partition as it was sandwitched between a Vista and OS X partition, then moved the OS X partition over to the left (I used gparted (be sure to unjournal your OS X partition first and remember to rejournal afterwards; the move worked faultlessly, though don't try to resize. I ran the fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 command, wrote and flagged OS X as the active partition. All I get now is a blinking cursor line against a black background. Also, I have been unable to get Vista's bootloader, via BCD, to boot it. At present I boot up via the install DVD by pressing F8. That said, I wanted to try out Kalyway's 10.4.10. When installing it to another partition, I found it added my original partition to Darwin's boot list. As you can imagine, when I removed Kalyway it took Darwin with it.

Any suggestions welcome! :-)