Changed hardware, now get instant reboot

OzOSX86

5 posts in this topic

I've encountered what seems like a CPU or Motherboard issue after a recent upgrade with my main PC.

I first took one of my working installs from my previous Asus motherboard (P5ND2-SLI) with P4 805D which also boots flawlessy on my Dell M170 laptop and Office Dell GX280. I just upgraded the PC in question with a new Asus P5N32-SLI and E6600 CPU. Now all I get is instant reboot after 2 lines of the startup, exactly as described in another thread when using the USB HD install or even trying to boot a fresh 10.4.7 Hotiso image I just downloaded a couple of weeks ago.

So far I've tried playing with all of the available CPU options in the Asus bios(can't see any extended features flag though as mentioned in elsewhere) and I still get the same reboot every time....

I have been searching for 2 weeks now and still no answers. Very annoying considering I was really looking forward to running OSX with the new Core2Duo CPU.

My setup:

Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe

E6600

Corsair 5400UL

7800 GTX SLI

• 2 weeks later...

Is your DVD drive IDE? Intel's newer mobo chips don't have support for IDE, so the mobo makers add IDE support with an extra chip. Odds are OSX doesn't support that chip without some patches. Since those can't really be applied until OSX is installed, you're stuck using a USB DVD to install.

Not sure an SATA DVD drive would fare any better BTW, Intel's newer southbridges themselves aren't supported without patches in some cases either.

Is your DVD drive IDE? Intel's newer mobo chips don't have support for IDE, so the mobo makers add IDE support with an extra chip. Odds are OSX doesn't support that chip without some patches. Since those can't really be applied until OSX is installed, you're stuck using a USB DVD to install.

Not sure an SATA DVD drive would fare any better BTW, Intel's newer southbridges themselves aren't supported without patches in some cases either.

\

Yeah but as with the previous ASUS MB, it's not Intel it's Nvidia. That doesn't make sense anyway regardless as the DVD boots but the system restarts after loading 2 lines of the kernel. Exactly the same basic as what happens if I take the working install from the previous MB and run it. Much more like a Conroe CPU issue than DVD. Also can prove it further as I downloaded the first release of Jas 10.4.8 which gets to the grey startup screen and boots for 40 secs before giving the small 'no sign' embedded in the Apple logo.

\

Yeah but as with the previous ASUS MB, it's not Intel it's Nvidia. That doesn't make sense anyway regardless as the DVD boots but the system restarts after loading 2 lines of the kernel. Exactly the same basic as what happens if I take the working install from the previous MB and run it. Much more like a Conroe CPU issue than DVD. Also can prove it further as I downloaded the first release of Jas 10.4.8 which gets to the grey startup screen and boots for 40 secs before giving the small 'no sign' embedded in the Apple logo.

Try installing it native through VMWorkstation. This worked for me running an Asus P5NSLI with a C2D E6400 and 10.4.6 JaS .iso.

I used:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32100

Try installing it native through VMWorkstation. This worked for me running an Asus P5NSLI with a C2D E6400 and 10.4.6 JaS .iso.

I used:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32100

Thanks, but it irks me to do that after having a successful native install on the old MB+ CPU. I've got a good feeling about the fixed Jas 10.4.8 release working. If not I may forgo that system and just use my laptop for OSX as I've been doing successfully for while now.