W520 Black Screen when using MBP8,x SMBIOS

gpspl

42 posts in this topic

Hi, I've instaled 10.11.4 on my Lenovo W520 but i can't set right SMBIOS (now i'm using MBP10,1) because when i set it to MBP8,1/2/3 all i get is black screen after verbose. All is working (QE/CI, audio, etc) but PM no because i'm using wrong SMBIOS so no sleep or speedsteping.

What is a problem and what i can do?

First, open multiple topics

It will not make people
help you faster, removing others and
keeping only this, and secondly,
post your files: SSDT, DSDT and config.plist
for an analysis.

Sorry if multiple topics ware made but i didn't do it. May be some glitch in matrix:>

Lenovo W520

CPU: i7-2760qm

GPU: Nvidia Quadro 1000m

Chipset: QM67

DSDT and config:

DSDT_Config.zip

• Like 1

the site should be down for maintenance or something similar

here is very slow.

For me it's also very slow or just get error 502. I guess thats why my post is multiplicated

Sorry if multiple topics ware made but i didn't do it. May be some glitch in matrix:>

Lenovo W520

CPU: i7-2760qm

GPU: Nvidia Quadro 1000m

Chipset: QM67

DSDT and config:

Nvidia worked for you?

I think not, perhaps this is the reason for black screen.

Yes it's working. In w520 you can disable optimus and leave only nvidia gpu (or intel gpu if you want :>). All is working except for PM because i'm using wrong SMBIOS.

Try these SMBIOS settings; 'should fix your black screen issue with Quadro 1000M.

attachicon.gifsmbios.plist.zip

I'm using clover not chameleona :<

Mac Pro 3,1 or Macbook Pro 10,1 should fix the black screen issue. I have uploaded a DSDT made for the W520 ( the Quadro 2000M model ) in the T420 thread so make sure to check that out

Now my SMBIOS is set to MBP10,1 so no blackscreen problem. I've alredy patched my DSDT (all working - gpu, usb, audio,backlight,battery etc but no PM) but on this SMBIOS I can't enable speedsteping and sleep (laptop just wakes nothing in console - so no common usb wake problem)

speesteping and sleep. Now i have only x8 x30 x32 steps, and sleep isn't working (laptop goes to sleep but wakes after 1s) - nothing in console so no usb problem (i think so... :>)

Hello,

I'm facing a similar problem with the black screen. Also having W520 with 1000M. I tried similar fixes as you did, but not changing SMBIOS. Now I tried to use your config and DSDT but the result is the same (in verbose I can see that nvdagf100hal is loaded and then the screen turns black). Have you made any changes to anything else in order to get the display working?

Thank you in advance.

I haven't yet. But I tried pure 10,1's SMBIOS without success either with 1000m card nor integrated HD 3000 card. That is kind of weird since gpspl used this without gpu related problems...

With pure 8,3 SMBIOS integrated card works fine (laptop LCD only).

I will give your SMBIOS a try and will see... Thank you.

Thank you for the info. I tried your suggested SMBIOS but without success. I tried also iMac13,2 SMBIOS as I saw it working at somebody on insanelymac. Without success either.

It would be OK to work with integrated gpu only, but my displayport monitor is not recognized. I followed topic about installing os x on thinkpad t420 with uefi only, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Maybe I could manage to make working some of the previous versions of os x. For example Mavericks and then move on...

Hi, I've instaled 10.11.4 on my Lenovo W520 but i can't set right SMBIOS (now i'm using MBP10,1) because when i set it to MBP8,1/2/3 all i get is black screen after verbose. All is working (QE/CI, audio, etc) but PM no because i'm using wrong SMBIOS so no sleep or speedsteping.

What is a problem and what i can do?

Hello,

I finally managed to get both GPU and SpeedStep working (at least I hope... ). There`s no need of DSDT GPU injection, just leave the device as is and let Clover do the magic. Use this config, just make sure you don`t use NullCPUPM kext. Sleep works too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, still comes up with a black screen. Is there anything Nvidia related in your DSDT? I tried both yours and my one, no difference. Just curious if the "magic" is just in the SMBIOS settings in config.plist.

What screen do you have? Is it FHD as well? And which Bios version are you using?

Thanks!

PS Getting a bunch of LPC errors during boot, which FakeSMC.kext do you use?

Also try extracting your EDID using different OS. Everything else is done using Clover. (See config). I don't think that BIOS version is responsible for it, but you could try updating it. I will post my FakeSMC.

One more question. Does the black screen appear right after the booting process, or it takes some longer time to switch from the verbose screen to the black one?

Hi lukerus1,

thanks for helping and taking the time to reply.

Good hint with Intelbacklight, I'll give that a try.

It switches to a black screen after a while, before that I see error messages regarding AppleLPC (PM seems to work though), then nothing happens for a bit and the boot process seems to be finished.

Usually I get messages regarding WLan (channles blablabla) before the screen turns black.

I did reset my BIOS to defaults, just to make sure there's nothing weird going on there. Of course I changed relevant settings back to what they should be (AHCI, Discreet Graphics, VT-d).

I did extract the EDID for my screen a while back and been using that since. Tried yours, too.

Also tried external monitor and sleep/wake before, with the same result.

If there's a delay between finishing the booting process and the black screen, it will be likely the IntelBacklight if I can remember well. Use single user mode to remove it. If nothing helps, I will try to simulate the problem on my system and I will let you know.