OSX86 installation possible without preparing harddisk?

mr_chombee

5 posts in this topic

yo freaks,

this may sound a bit dumb, but I've read through many install guides and I'm wondering if I really need to prepare my harddisk with Acronis or whatsoever before booting the install DVD.

I want to install OSX86 onto a fresh, blank harddisk, which comes right from the shop. I need no dual-boot, just OSX. Can't I just boot from the install DVD and format/partition the harddisk with the disk utility tool?

any help highly appreciated.

You are installing on a PC and it needs an MBR partition scheme that the BIOS can understand.

Use a Windows/Linux utility to format the whole drive as FAT32. This will establish the MBR scheme. MBR creates a teeny tiny partition at the start of the drive for the boot information and the rest of the drive is one big data partition. Then when you get into the installation and go to Disk Utility, select the primary partition (it will be shown right below the hard drive in Disk Utility) and format (erase) that as MacOS Extended Journaled (HFS+).

Yes you can.The disk utility on the dvd will partition it mbr , Pick partition and set up your partitions and then install.

I'm not so sure the Disk Utility on the install DVD will do it. It is older and doesn't have the Options button under Partition to select the partition scheme (MBR, GUID or Apple Partition). Also, the Restore function in Disk Utility on the DVD doesn't...well...function.

However, those features work fine in the Disk Utility that gets installed onto the hard drive. But by then, it is too late.

Options button on newer Disk Utility: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4693