Install OS X El Capitan.app cannot be copied to NTFS partition for backing it up

dxellas

5 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

After a long time I decided to deal with OS X again on a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H with 16GB RAM and i7-4770. On my Windows 10 SSD I installed vmware Workstation Pro 12. To accept OS X I had also to install Mac OS X Unlocker for VMware. After that I installed 10.7.1 from an old DVD I had left and updated it so that I was now able to download the El Capitan image from the Apple Store. Since I wanted a fresh install of El Capitan (in a virtual machine) I prepared a bootable USB stick as described at http://www.macworld.com/article/2981585/operating-systems/how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-installer-drive.html. Since vmware Workstation cannot boot from USB sticks I solved this by booting the vm from the Plop Boot Manager iso which has a BIOS that can boot from USB. So the installation of El Capitan could be done without any problem and now I can boot it in the vm. It looks to be working. So far so good.

My question is how can I backup the file Install OS X El Capitan.app for future installations ?

I wanted to copy the file on an external HDD which is NTFS formatted. I could not paste it there since it was not choosable from the context menu and drag and drop did also not work.

My next try was to share a folder in my host OS Windows 10. I shared the Downloads folder and gave full access for everybody just for testing. Now the context menu let me paste the file but I got this message: "One or more items can't be copied. Do you want to skip them and copy the remaining items?" 

Now I was curious and formatted the USB stick in OS X Extended (Journaled) / GUID. This solved the problem. I could copy the 6.21GB file Install OS X El Capitan.app to the 8GB stick. But it can't stay there since I need the stick for other stuff and has to be in NTFS again after this experiment.

I would like to have the file copied on an external USB drive. Must this be in HFS+ ? Can't it be in NTFS ?

Does anybody know what the cause is for this behavior ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your interest and looking forward in seeing your answers.

Best regards.

Thanks for the info. So you are sure that it must be the file system. I will try it of course but let me please ask this also:

Can files be changed in a way so that they are not copyable at all or with restrictions to other file system partitions than HFS+ or anywhere else than the partition they have been downloaded to ?

P.S.: In the meantime I installed Tuxera NTFS and formatted the USB stick in exFAT. Now I could easily copy the file to it and from there inside Windows 10 to my NTFS formatted external HDD. Backwards I could copy it again either from the USB stick or from the NTFS formatted external HDD to El Capitan inside of the vm without any issues. Thanks once again.

Actually I just wanted to keep the El Capitan image somewhere just in case I would need to reinstall it. Otherwise I will have to reinstall Lion (this is the latest I have on a DVD) and redownload El Capitan which is quite time consuming. Further on the external HDD has to be accessable from Windows and the USB stick is for other purposes. I haven't changed any permissions inside OS X, just the folder that I had shared on Windows 10 as I believed it would be the easiest way to exchange data from Windows 10 to OS X but for some reason I could not write on it. So that's why I asked if files inside OS X could have the "copy not allowed" permission. If this would be the case on Install OS X El Capitan.app I would have not been able to copy it on the exFAT formatted partition either.

So why I formatted the USB stick and not the external HDD in exFAT ?

Because the data I have stored on latter I would have to move it to somewhere else before reformatting it from NTFS to exFAT and since 2 other HDDs of mine died lately I don't have any space left to do so right now. That's why I copied step by step to the USB stick and then to the external HDD. Now the file is saved on the NTFS partition so next time I will need it I can copy it inside the vm running of El Capitan and creating there the USB stick as bootable.

Sorry for the confusion but I had no other choice.

Best regards and thanks once again for your advices.

I also have thought backing up the vm but it would take much more space on my backup drive instead of the just 6.21GB El Capitan dmg.

Thanks for the hint about Macdrive and HFS+ boot camp drivers but may I ask you where to find latter for Windows 10 ?