QHD Monitor @ 1920x1080 HiDPI

uglyJoe

31 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

hello i have a problem with Sierra on my laptop, connect a TV to HDMI connects but I see him on TV the computer image is not full-screen, but on a smaller scale, if I go on the monitor's settings I can only shrink the image does not enlarge, this thing I only happens with sierra with El Capitan everything works perfectly connect the TV and the picture fits the size of your TV

do you have any idea

• 2 months later...

Hey, thanks a lot for the tutorial and the files, this is exactly what I have been looking for!

However, I am running into a problem:

When trying to move the "DisplayProduct..." file into the /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-10ac/ folder, I do not get permissions to this. I tried granting permission both via Finder and via Terminal, did not work (i have no permissions for changing permissions...)

Does anyone have a hint how to work around this? :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

• 11 months later...

Hi,

my new Dell U2515H is connected via DisplayPort to a Intel HD4600.

I like this monitor very much but with the native resolution of 2560x1440 pixel system-font looks really small.

So I activated HiDPI from the terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

but with the "1280x720 HiDPI" resolution the screen is to small :(

After a long search I found a solution - display overrides.

For this I put an override-file 'DisplayProductID-d06f' with the code below to

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-10ac/DisplayProductID-d06f

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>DisplayProductName</key>
  <string>Dell U2515H (HiDPI)</string>
  <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
  <integer>4268</integer>
  <key>DisplayProductID</key>
  <integer>53359</integer>
  <key>scale-resolutions</key>
  <array>
    <data>AAAPAAAACHAAAAAB</data> <!-- 3840x2160 to get 1920x1080 HiDPI -->
    <data>AAAMgAAABwgAAAAB</data> <!-- 3200x1800 to get 1600x900 HiDPI -->
    <data>AAALQAAABlQAAAAB</data> <!-- 2880x1620 to get 1440x810 HiDPI -->
  </array>
</dict>
</plist>

The Monitor use another ProductID if it's connected to HDMI.

Therefore I need another override file. To verify the ProductID, I use this from terminal:

ioreg -l -w0 -d0 -r -c AppleDisplay | grep ID | grep -v IO

This override has a patched EDID to support RGB color mode with HDMI (see http://embdev.net/topic/284710 for more info)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>DisplayProductName</key>
  <string>Dell U2515H (HiDPI + RGB)</string>
  <key>IODisplayEDID</key>
    <data>AP///////wAQrG/QTEE0MCkZAQSlNx94JkRVqVVNnSYPUFSlSwCzANEAcU+p
QIGAd4ABAQEBVl4AoKCgKVAwIDUAKTchAAAaAAAA/wBYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFgK
AAAA/ABERUxMIFUyNTE1SAogAAAA/QA4Vh5xHgEKICAgICAgAKM=</data>
  <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
  <integer>4268</integer>
  <key>DisplayProductID</key>
  <integer>53360</integer>
  <key>scale-resolutions</key>
    <array>
    <data>AAAPAAAACHAAAAAB</data> <!-- 3840x2160 to get 1920x1080 HiDPI -->
    <data>AAAMgAAABwgAAAAB</data> <!-- 3200x1800 to get 1600x900 HiDPI -->
    <data>AAALQAAABlQAAAAB</data> <!-- 2880x1620 to get 1440x810 HiDPI -->
  </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Reboot and done :)

For easy resolution switching I wrote a command-line tool based on RetinaDisplayMenu.

I put SetDisplayResolution to /usr/local/bin and use Karabiner to create the keyboard shortcuts.

From my private.xml

<vkopenurldef>
        <name>KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_2560x1440</name>
        <url type="shell">/usr/local/bin/SetDisplayResolution -w 2560 -h 1440 -s 1</url>
    </vkopenurldef>
    <vkopenurldef>
        <name>KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1920x1080_HiDpi</name>
        <url type="shell">/usr/local/bin/SetDisplayResolution -w 1920 -h 1080 -s 2</url>
    </vkopenurldef>
    <vkopenurldef>
        <name>KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1600x900_HiDpi</name>
        <url type="shell">/usr/local/bin/SetDisplayResolution -w 1600 -h 900 -s 2</url>
    </vkopenurldef>
    <vkopenurldef>
        <name>KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1440x810_HiDpi</name>
        <url type="shell">/usr/local/bin/SetDisplayResolution -w 1440 -h 810 -s 2</url>
    </vkopenurldef>
    <vkopenurldef>
        <name>KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1280x720_HiDpi</name>
        <url type="shell">/usr/local/bin/SetDisplayResolution -w 1280 -h 720 -s 2</url>
    </vkopenurldef>

<item>
        <name>Apple Magic Keyboard</name>
        <item>
            <name>BRIGHTNESS_DOWN+COMMAND_L to SetDisplayResolution 2560x1440</name>
            <identifier>apple.magic-keyboard.sdr_2560x1440</identifier>
            <device_only>DeviceVendor::Apple_Bluetooth, DeviceProduct::MAGIC_KEYBOARD</device_only>
            <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_DOWN, ModifierFlag::COMMAND_L, KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_2560x1440, Option::NOREPEAT</autogen>
        </item>

<item>
            <name>BRIGHTNESS_UP+COMMAND_L to SetDisplayResolution 1920x1080 (HiDPI)</name>
            <identifier>apple.magic-keyboard.sdr_1920x1080_hidpi</identifier>
            <device_only>DeviceVendor::Apple_Bluetooth, DeviceProduct::MAGIC_KEYBOARD</device_only>
            <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_UP, ModifierFlag::COMMAND_L, KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1920x1080_HiDpi, Option::NOREPEAT</autogen>
        </item>
        <item>
            <name>BRIGHTNESS_UP+COMMAND_L to SetDisplayResolution 1600x900 (HiDPI)</name>
            <identifier>apple.magic-keyboard.sdr_1600x900_hidpi</identifier>
            <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_UP, ModifierFlag::COMMAND_L, KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1600x900_HiDpi, Option::NOREPEAT</autogen>
        </item>
        <item>
            <name>BRIGHTNESS_UP+COMMAND_L to SetDisplayResolution 1440x810 (HiDPI)</name>
            <identifier>apple.magic-keyboard.sdr_1440x810_hidpi</identifier>
            <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_UP, ModifierFlag::COMMAND_L, KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1440x810_HiDpi, Option::NOREPEAT</autogen>
        </item>
        <item>
            <name>BRIGHTNESS_UP+COMMAND_L to SetDisplayResolution 1280x720 (HiDPI)</name>
            <identifier>apple.magic-keyboard.1280x720</identifier>
            <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_UP, ModifierFlag::COMMAND_L, KeyCode::VK_OPEN_URL_SHELL_SetDisplayResolution_1280x720_HiDpi, Option::NOREPEAT</autogen>
        </item>

</item>

Have Fun!

Hi

My Dell u2515 is connected via DisplayPort to a Intel Iris Graphics (mac mini late 2014)

I did all operations in instruction, but in my screen option add only screen resolution 1600x900HiDPI. I can’t set 1920x1080 HiDPI of screen resolution.

help me please.

thanks   :(

• 2 years later...
On 9/2/2016 at 2:20 PM, zheads said:

Installed 10.11.6 Hackintosh yesterday. Everything works BUT My monitor... In settings it was detected as should Acer XB270HU, profile is 2560x1440@144Hz, but looks like it works at 40Hz... my eyes are broken... Please help

Did you managed to fix it?

I have the same problem, I cant use 2560x1440@144Hz in Catalina...