Macvidia Problems HELP!

alexss3

11 posts in this topic

So I went and installed macvidia BETA 2 build 1 driver in hopes to get some better performance over the macvidia 1 driver. well now I can't boot into osx. here's what happens: it boots to the gray screen with apple logo and won't go further. but it's interesting that the hdd light blinks a lot as if loading osx, and after about 2 min you can hit keys on the keyboard and hear sound coming from the speakers (the little 'bloop' sound). I've tried to boot into safe mode, shift key method, and tried to hit any key to get boot options, with NO luck! What can I do to get back into osx to uninstall beta 2 driver so I don't have to reinstall osx??? PLEASE help. I'll post hardware if you think it will help.

When OSX boots, the screen turns black and then to grey with a spinning icon.

When you choose your OSX partition in your bootloader, just as soon as the screen turns black, start tapping the F8 key quickly and repeatedly until a command prompt appears. If the grey screen appears, you missed it - try again.

At the command prompt, type: -s and hit Enter.

This will boot you into single-user mode - a command line environment.

At the new command prompt, type:

mount -uw /
mkdir /macvidia_backup
mv /System/Library/Extensions/NVDriver.kext /macvidia_backup/
mv /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia* /macvidia_backup/
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
reboot

You can find the removed MacVidia drivers in the "macvidia_backup" folder on your OSX partition.

Well , you could remove that and try the latest version

You also try to move the mouse to the top right corner of the screen [i know you can't see , but just try to do that] and then click it , and press the down key four times. Then type displays [just type displays] and press the down key once. Then press the tab key and hit up and down , till you get a resolution that is supported !

ok so I tried both Rammjet's and _Prasys_ 's methods and neither worked for me. I still got the gray screen hanging, and hearing audio when hitting apple+q or ctrl+alt+esc, etc. Here's what I also tried: tried booting with "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" (which gave a nice resolution, but never booted), and also used nano to edit the /etc/rc file and removed the kextload /System/Library/Extensions/NVDriver.kext and NVidiaHAL.kext lines from the top like Macvidia said to put there. Well still no progress. Also tried booting -v verbose mode, everything went fine til it hung up on this:

decoding 0x2a652000 2 +0x800

decoding 0x2a652800 0 +0x800 All Ok...

no luck...please help

Try 1600x1200 if you got something with 1280x1024. If using Rammjets commands you would still need to replace the files that were moved before install. If you didn't back up to a location you know there is no going back.

The installer saves the following files to: /NVBackup

GeForce.kext

NVDA*.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

IF you used the installer, they should all be put back into /System/Library/Extensions in single user mode (-s):

mount -uw /
cd /NVBackup
mv GeForce.kext NVDA*.kext IONDRVSupport.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
cd /System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions /
reboot

Tried your second approach Rammjet, no luck. I did install with the installer btw. I did all the steps, although NVDA*.kext was never found, hrmmm. On the last step with diskutil repairPermissions / it just froze and didn't do anything. So I used the install dvd to get to disk utility and repair the persmission from there, but still no luck when booting. Perhaps you have one more trick up your sleeve that can get me working, otherwise it looks as though I'm gonna have to reinstall everything....GRRRR!