Cloning MacBook Air to make a Hackintosh

bgrau

6 posts in this topic

Well, I did this:

Use disk utility to clone the Macbook Air to a gpt partition of an external usb 3 hard disk.

Use an available Hackintosh installation to do the rest which is:

1. Uncheck Ignore ownership on this volume

2. Install latest compatible Enoch Chameleon with the advised settings.

3. Add some kexts such as Voodoo, etc.

4. Use the MacBook Air where El Capitan is installed to run First Aid on the Volume.

5. Reboot on the target PC I intended to use (with its DSDT in the /Extra folder.

It works.

Only caveat I have not yet cracked is the Terminal app does not work, it loads but terminates with an error.

I am going to download the latest combo update and see if that fixes it.

Oh the PC is actually Acer W700 which I worked on earlier for Mavericks and Yosemite, I can't use the display, but use an external HDMI monitor :)

Ah and I'm writing this on El Capitan from the Acer W700 :)

Well, I did this:

Use disk utility to clone the Macbook Air to a gpt partition of an external usb 3 hard disk.

Use an available Hackintosh installation to do the rest which is:

1. Uncheck Ignore ownership on this volume

2. Install latest compatible Enoch Chameleon with the advised settings.

3. Add some kexts such as Voodoo, etc.

4. Use the MacBook Air where El Capitan is installed to run First Aid on the Volume.

5. Reboot on the target PC I intended to use (with its DSDT in the /Extra folder.

It works.

Only caveat I have not yet cracked is the Terminal app does not work, it loads but terminates with an error.

I am going to download the latest combo update and see if that fixes it.

Oh the PC is actually Acer W700 which I worked on earlier for Mavericks and Yosemite, I can't use the display, but use an external HDMI monitor :)

Ah and I'm writing this on El Capitan from the Acer W700 :)

Why won't you install it clean according to your hardware?

Why don't you do it simple?

Attach the disk externally to Mac (USB), start the installer from Application, choose the external disk and install, reboot into the new installation, finish then reboot into original.

Then install clover to the external disk, add Fakesmc to clover kext folder and put disk into the hack. There you go...

As I suspected and hoped for, re-installing the 10.11.2 combo fixed Terminal, so this can be done this way (I used Pacifist latest).

I had Mavericks on the partition prior, so I guess there were some garbage left from it that was not overwritten in the cloning.

Not as obvious, probably the advice to install from scratch is better.

Installed latest OS X (10.11.2) again over this old install, then carbon copy clone over it the Macbook Air partition seems to have finally fixed all issues :)