X99 5820k Hackintosh Build Opinion's?

Noodlez

2 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some opinions on this X99 hackintosh build that I would like to overclock to the highest but safest level and also keep the noise level to a minimum. This will be used for music production only i.e running Ableton/Logic X and lots of Vsti's and samples etc...

I plan on using Yosemite as I hear El Cap doesnt run too cool with X99 at the mo?...

Below is my planned build list -

CPU - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Case Fan - Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan   -  ( To be added to the CPU Cooler for 2 fans )

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4P, Intel X99

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400

Storage - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

The Fractal R5 Case comes with 2 stock 140mm fans (at front and back), Including the Noctua Cooler with another 140mm 2 fans, Do you recommend I should add any more fans to the case for extra cooling or would this be enough to cope with overclocking the 5820k?

Many Thanks

Noodlez

Be aware - since you seem to care about cooling and noise - that there is AFAIK still no proper CPU PM for X99, so your CPU will not be able to run as efficient as lets say a 4930k.

As for cooling, if you want to have a good balance with cooling vs noise, you could consider setting up "adaptive cooling" using a good controller like this: http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3093(imho one of the best controllers you can get, and you also can use the headless version) and some temperature sensors (included with the aquaero) placed carefully in your case.

What I did is use three temperature sensors, and set them up so they control my three bottom case fans. In addition the exhaust fan on the top is using the median value of two of these sensors as input, while the CPU fan is running simply using the BIOS controller. So, the hotter it gets inside my case, the more work for the fans. It really works great and with the aquaero you can do a lot of finetuning, but it takes a while to obtain good settings. Only drawback you have no direct readings in HWSensor (but can use a VM), and the controlling software (much more convenient than using the panel itself!) is Windows only.

Anyway, choosing Noctua fans is the way to go! As for the question of adding even more fans, well I guess its a matter of try and error.

Hint for overclocking: try to overcklock with relative voltages instead of a fixed one, produces way less heat and strain on the CPU esp. when idling. Mine is actually undervolted (~0.72-0.79V @ 1.2 GHz) a bit when idling, but again you still have the issue of lacking CPU PM. When being on load, my Voltage just goes up to only about 1.18V @ 4.2 GHz with this technique.

In addition, I also used a Corsair power supply first, but I had noise problems with that (strange clicking noises) so I settled for a "BeQuiet" one.