New MacBook (retina 2015) data recovery issue

3.14r2

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Found this YT video and want to share:

It's about attempts to discover ways how to extract/recover data from the new Retina MacBooks.

The main problem (as I see it) is that on the new MacBooks an SSD itself is SOLDERED DIRECTLY to the logic board (just like the RAM and CPU) and it is not in any shape or form removable like for instance a HDD (the older MacBooks/MacBooks Pro) or a proprietary Apple's SSD module that is attached to the logic board via a socket (thus can be removed/replaced). So you can not remove this SSD and put it to a different Mac/external enclosure.

Hence in a case of a major logic board failure (say a liquid spill) with the MacBook not even turning on as a result, a user (without a backup in hand) is faced with a very probable lose of ALL data on the SSD. Unless the logic board is repaired (which is not always possible, not to mention that Apple doesn't do that and you need to find a repair shop that do these kind of repairs).

Sure it might probably be possible (in theory at least) to desolder the NAND chips together with the controller chips (which in turn are Apple's own development and good luck finding any datasheets on them) and solder them back on to a working logic board. Question is is it really possible and how much such a data recovery would cost (knowing that data recovery from the good old HDDs usually cost an arm and a leg).

Not to mention the single (!) I/O port used for everything (except the headphones maybe)...

Apple really went to town to make the data recovery from a dead retina MB's almost impossible (I doubt it was intentional rather it's a result of cutting costs/thickness of the product).

Think twice about that before you buy the RMB! :)

• Like 2

...thanks for sharing.

You are welcome!

Looks like there aren't many articles (as of today) on the net describing the new RMB specifically from this standpoint (i.e. data recovery in the case of a dead logic board). Even iFixit in their RMB tear down don't mention this fact (most likely they didn't consider this particular problem then describing the all new SSD). I've lost all my date few times (and finally learned the lesson) and ability to recover data is of great importance to me (I guess not only me). Hence potential buyers of RMB should be aware that there is an inherent danger lurking inside the product and THEY MUST back up their data regularly.

Apple could actually implement some sort of "you MUST backup your data" solution on the RMBs. Or they could face yet another s..t storm (just like the infamous iphone 6 error 53).

And yes, I know several people still using the white polycarbonate MB :)

• Like 1