Bizarre clover and cpu pm issue...

apple32

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

A few days ago,I began experimenting with OS 10.11 so as to replace my older yosemite installation.I am using clover 3320 together with a custom dsdt for my asus p8z68 vpro motherboard (just sound patches), a ssdt generated by ssdtprgen for my i7 2600k and a slightly changed config.plist from the yosemite installation.Everything is working fine except the cpu power management.

When I boot with my ssdt,it hangs and i can see the message: "p-state error 18 on cpu...".It is actually the first time ever I experience this problem.If I try to boot 2 consecutive times with the "ignoring caches" enabled, it will work properly.The first time I boot without using caches,it fails.I understand that if I delete the kext caches and repair the permissions,the problem may go away but I need to know why clover behaves like that ( why my changes are having effect only on the next (second) boot) and why I have this problem with the p-states while I believe I have a correct ssdt.

So why clover can't apply my changes on the first boot?

Also,the p states i was always getting with the imac12,2 smbios are: 16 34 35 36 37 38 39 40.(I have oc'ed it a little bit)

Is there any way to get more p states between 1600-3400mhz? keep in mind that i use a discrete gpu so I think that the macmini smbios is not really an option.Am I wrong?

does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Does it boot if you change the SMBIOS to MacMini or MacbookPro? And you say you OC'ed the CPU but did you edit the SSDT to match the change? I also OC'd my CPU with turbo only (45-45-44-44) and manually changed the SSDT to fit the change as the script couldn't generate such steps.

And no, you can't get more steps with that SMBIOS model, that's how it works in real Macs too. Well, you actually can but it involves editing the power management kext's data for the iMac and replacing it with the one from a MacMini/MacBook, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Using a discrete GPU with a MacMini SMBIOS should work just fine, as long as it boots :D. Lately I've been running my i7+270x with a MacBookPro8,3 SMBIOS, it's probably the best for the CPU and works really well with the GPU with a minor DSDT patch (avoid the name GFX0 for your GPU device) to avoid loading the model's own GPU PM profile.

And next time upload a full DarwinDumper report please, we need to see some data to verify what's going on. Also, could you add the hardware specs into your signature?

The ssdt is not changed (turbo=3800) but somehow I hadn't had any problems with the OC in yosemite. The cpu would normally go up to 4GHz(pstates 16,35-40). I tried generating a ssdt with -turbo 4000 now but that didn't work because i got the same message and now I will try changing one core to a different maximum turbo freq and also the ssdt. Also, if I set the turbo ratio to "auto" (3800), el capitan will boot normally but if I set the turbo ratio to 3800 manually (the same thing), all I get is the "pstate error 18 on cpu..." message.

When I try to boot with a macmini5,x smbios,I get a black screen (indicating that the gpu is not working) and If I try to use the macbookpro8,x smbios,it restarts automatically after a "ACPI SENSORS 1 " message. Nevertheless, now that I know I can get more states I will experiment with other smbios files when I get through my current problem.

Also sometimes, out of the blue, I get kernel panics on boot always regarding the aicpupm kext (even when I use stock frequency).Is this, along with the other issue with the "second" boot, related to clover?

thanks for the response!

Apart from the darwindumper files, I also attached some logs from the random kernel panics.

DarwinDumper_2.9.9.1_AMI_X64_3320_Cap_aristos.zip

panics.zip