iCloud, FaceTime, SMBios - Best method for duplicating from authentic OS X hardware?

buttcrap

3 posts in this topic

So I'm running Yosemite on an HP Sandy Bridge laptop with MacBook 8,2 system definition, and I just picked up the same year(2011) Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro 8,2 that is ridiculously close to the end of it's life. I don't plan on using iMessage or FaceTime if I even use the MBP at all (it's screen is cracked, missing keys, aluminum falling apart, it's had a rough life). 

So I've taken the SMBIOS variables using iMessage_debug V2, but I'm not sure on what the best way to apply these is and I've seen a lot of conflicting information in the many forums I've checked out.

I've seen people imply that MLB and ROM are the only really important variables here, and that if you're taking these values from a real mac that these ones are the only ones you should take while separately generating a serial number, smUUID etc from Clover Configurator or uuidgen. 

I've also seen people recommend to simply make sure the output of iMessage_debug exactly replicates your hack and real Mac (in the case where the system definition matches the Mac that you're getting the variables from).

I've seen people say that you shouldn't take any variables, ever, at all, even from a retired Mac that you already own.

A good chunk of the material I've found on this subject is over 5 years old, which is why I think I'm finding a lot of conflicting information. In addition to that most guides etc are written from the standpoint of someone that does not have another mac to take the variables from, and if they do mention scenarios like this it's so briefly touched that I'm still left unsure. 

Does anyone more experienced have any personal recommendations for someone specifically in my case, where I own a Mac that matches the system definition I'm using for my hack? 

After months of experimenting with all of the different variables you had mentioned, using numbers from an actual Mac and altering the manufacturing year and week of the MLB has worked for me. The UUID can be manually generated in terminal. Serial numbers can be easily generated using Clover Configurator and other similar apps. As for the ROM, you can use the actual MAC address for your NIC card. 

After months of experimenting with all of the different variables you had mentioned, using numbers from an actual Mac and altering the manufacturing year and week of the MLB has worked for me. The UUID can be manually generated in terminal. Serial numbers can be easily generated using Clover Configurator and other similar apps. As for the ROM, you can use the actual MAC address for your NIC card. 

Exactly the kind of expertise I was hoping for, thanks a million mrintegra. So you recommend using exact variables from a real Mac aside from UUID, serial number, ROM and year/week of manufacture as the ideal way to set this up?