Osira

3 posts in this topic

Been a while since me and a pal managed to turn a couple of dell mini 9s into leopard netbooks and then kill them with 10.5.8  ^_^ and thus it's so good to see there is still a thriving community here ... hoping you can help me

Does anyone know if your group's nvidia webdriver updater will successfully flash the ROM in the non-approved (by Apple!) 8800 GTS (the GT was approved, but not the GTS) - so it will work in a mac pro 3,1 with El Capitan ? (by 'work' I mean 100% fully work - not just login screen but all boot screen options)

May seem an odd thing to do but amongst my other projects keeping this behemoth (3,1 intel xeon 8 core 8GB RAM 2008/9) mac pro with bootcamp running as something more than just a home NAS (4x4TB drives in the bays) and file server is high up my list and I am never going to be able to stump up the cash for an apple $$$ approved card 

Things I think I know, but suspect some folk here will have found a way around or know better;

1) without flashing, I will never get the options at boot, or be able to see SUDO or recovery options

2) I can use screen sharing / VNC viewer / Vine to remote into the mac at the login screen, and use startup disk prefs to switch between bootcamp and OSX, but not OSX DVDs on an external DVD over USB 

3) I have been pointed at netkas but they seem to be down currently ... :( and when last up appear to be focused on flashing just the high end newer PC gaming cards (1GB VRAM and up) - this 8800 GTS is just a 320mb)

Any info will be much appreciated, hate binning kit like this ....

cheers

Andy

• 10 months later...

I have the same 8-core MP 3,1 config, that runs a "silent" 8600 GTS (G84) without flashing it (so without bootup Apple logo). But I also have an 8800 GTX (G80) that I would like to find a compatible BIOS for. Im in the process of collecting different old graphics cards and see what I can make work best. I did flash the Mac version of Quadro 5600 onto the 8800, but just bricked it temporarily so no go. Going to try a GF GTX 460 also. The idea is to get full MP compatibility with acceleration for Photoshop, Premiere etc but not for gaming. I am doing my best to learn GOPupd and NVflash to "cook" a proper EFI-bios onto the cards and see what works best. Will report back what I find out...

Edit after a brief test: The GTX 460 works fine in my MP after flashing with GOPupd-enhanced ROM. Except that it still behaves like any other PC card, with no picture before the OSX desktop or "Starting windows" in Bootcamp. So even if I managed to make it PC UEFI compatible, its still not a Mac EFI card. Did anyone make this work with a similar card? What ROM file?

• 2 months later...