Insanely fast virtual Mac (QEMU, OVMF, Clover and native graphics)

514 posts in this topic

@Maclarentosh

I have downloaded q35-acpi-dsdt.aml from

and copied it to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin on USB boot drive, so I think that is covered

Also I have configured the Root/CPU/QEMU Boolean YES, so good there too.

@KillerKelvUK

Okay, I will remove the Root/CPU/BusSpeedkHz and the Root/ACPI/DropTables.  What about the other values in Root/ACPI/DSDT and Root/ACPI/SSDT, should these nodes be removed as well?

So if I understand correctly, the only things needed for sure to set in the Clover Configurator is the QEMU flag?

Root/CPU/QEMU Boolean YES

(Excluding setting up Root/GUI with resolution and theme, which should not be required for success.)

Thanks both of you for your help.

@KillerKelvUK

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-enable-kvm \
-bios OVMF-pure-efi.fd \
-m 2048 \
-cpu core2duo,vendor=GenuineIntel \
-smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 \
-machine q35,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off \
-rtc base=localtime \
-smbios type=2 \
-device isa-applesmc,osk="derp" \
-device i82801b11-bridge,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1e \
-device pci-bridge,chassis_nr=2,id=pci.2,bus=pci.1,addr=0x1 \
-device ahci,id=sata0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x5 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,id=usb,bus=pci.2,addr=0x3 \
-drive file=mac_hdd.img,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-2,format=raw \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=drive-sata0-0-2,id=sata0-0-2 \
-drive file=./live_new.raw,if=none,media=disk,id=drive-sata0-0-0,format=raw \
-device ide-hd,bus=sata0.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-0,id=sata0-0-0,bootindex=1 \
-drive file=OSX.iso,if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-sata0-0-1,readonly=on,format=raw \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-1,id=sata0-0-1 \
-device piix4-usb-uhci,id=usbbus \
-device usb-mouse \
-device usb-kbd \
-vga qxl

Sorry for the wait, I forgot you needed the 'PartitionDXE' driver for Clover to pick up the installation iso...had me boxed for a day or 2 that!

Anyways you're qemu commanline works for me...I get the garbled kernel output which is completely illegible but you can see what the GUI installer kicks in, even though that's illegible too.  So either you have a bad iso or bad Clover image.

@KillerKelvUK

Okay, I will remove the Root/CPU/BusSpeedkHz and the Root/ACPI/DropTables.  What about the other values in Root/ACPI/DSDT and Root/ACPI/SSDT, should these nodes be removed as well?

So if I understand correctly, the only things needed for sure to set in the Clover Configurator is the QEMU flag?

Root/CPU/QEMU Boolean YES

(Excluding setting up Root/GUI with resolution and theme, which should not be required for success.)

Thanks both of you for your help.

So from my config.plist I've extracted the following, this leads me to say you need to remove the values in Root/ACPI/DSDT and Root/ACPI/SSDT

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Fixes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FiX_TMR_40000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>q35-acpi-dsdt.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>

I also noticed you have "Debug" ticked on the ACPI page of Clover Configurator which I don't have.

First real post. Had to take the quizzes. Lol. Pretty nice feature. Anyways, I recently decided to undergo this particular experiment and I have one question:

I have only 1 GPU currently in my Linux workstation. Is there anyway to pass this through and run the workstation headless? I normally just SSH into the box so it would not be a dealbreaker for me. I currently have/have done the following:

• GPU: Nvidia GTS 8400 GS.
  • Assigned to VFIO and is reporting as such under lspci.
  • Was able to get Yosemite under Clover booting and successfully updated to 10.11.2
  • When I boot with std, I can definitely turn on screen sharing and select NVidia web drivers
  • When I reboot with GPU passed through and alternate clover image I get the bluetooth hang
  • Clover arguments: nvda_drv=1 rootless=1 -v kex-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 debug=(a value I Cannot remember, but it shows most verbose messaging)
  • When using -vga std, I am getting a MASSIVE amount of screen tearing/garbled output. However, through Screen Sharing, it is fine, so I suspect it is an issue with Chicken of the VNC
  • will post my command line when I get home. I have two depending on whether or not I wish to load Clover with nvidia support or without. It just makes it quicker for troubleshooting.

I think the problem is that Nvidia GTS 8400 GS is not being detected by web drivers and I need to edit a kext/DDST. However, I am a bit new to this so I have not taken that next step. any suggestions are helpful. I will post instructions on GitHub later on how I came to this point. It is in fact quite interesting because I manually used EFI Shell to install.

@DaGr8Gatzby

a) I think the graphics card needs to support UEFI. I'm not sure about this one, but your graphics card is quite old and might not support this. One reason to build a VM with Clover is to get rid of the legacy BIOS and VGA (VGA passthrough is a bit more tricky than PCIe passthrough). Do you see OVMF showing up on the display connected to the card, when you boot without "-vga std" ?

B) Try Linux or Windows guests first. Both are so much easier to deal with. 

c) Can you confirm your graphics card is attached to the VM? Does it show up in the system profiler (or an lspci equivalent) in Mac OSX?

@ThatGordo

I had this issue, but i dont remeber exactly how i solved it, since my system ended up breaking.

Firstly is the DSDT file in EFI/CLOVER/BOOT/ACPI/origin/?

Also according to page 2 of this forum, you need to manually add QEMU boolean key into the config.plist (check there for instructions). Is this value there? Clover configurator has a tendencey to remove this everytime it is used. Before taking a dd dump, check if that qemu entry is there.

If you are using an up to date version of Clover configurator you can set the QEMU setting with Clover configurator. Older versions didn't show the setting and removed it from the file, but that is history now :-).

@DaGr8Gatzby

a) I think the graphics card needs to support UEFI. I'm not sure about this one, but your graphics card is quite old and might not support this. One reason to build a VM with Clover is to get rid of the legacy BIOS and VGA (VGA passthrough is a bit more tricky than PCIe passthrough). Do you see OVMF showing up on the display connected to the card, when you boot without "-vga std" ?

B) Try Linux or Windows guests first. Both are so much easier to deal with. 

c) Can you confirm your graphics card is attached to the VM? Does it show up in the system profiler (or an lspci equivalent) in Mac OSX?

If you are using an up to date version of Clover configurator you can set the QEMU setting with Clover configurator. Older versions didn't show the setting and removed it from the file, but that is history now :-).

seems like it is a limitation with Nvidia cards. I've gone ahead and ordered a GTX 970. Should be here tomorrrow. I'll report back by end of week to see if this has helped. I definitely want to get this working, as it would consolidate all of my hardware into one box.

I'm happy to report that I was able to successfully pass through my GTX 970 to the Mac OS X Virtual Machine. 

Here are the modifications I had to make:

Kernel params:

npci=0x3000 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 debug=0x14e -v (Clover)

Script:

#!/bin/bash

# Unbind GTX970
echo "0000:01:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/driver/unbind
echo "0000:01:00.1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.1/driver/unbind

# Assign to vfio-pci
echo "10de 13c2" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id
echo "10de 0fbb" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id

# Start mac
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm \
-cpu core2duo,kvm=off \
-smp 6,sockets=1,cores=3,threads=2 \
-smbios type=2 \
-rtc base=localtime \
-bios /Machines/Mac/EFI.bin \
-m 4096 \
--vnc 10.0.0.2:1 \
-M q35 \
-boot order=dc \
-device isa-applesmc,osk="CENSORED" \
-usb \
-device ich9-ahci,id=ahci \
-drive file=/Machines/Mac/CloverNV.img,if=none,id=CLOVER,format=raw \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.1,drive=CLOVER \
-drive file=/Machines/Mac/Jane.img,if=none,id=JANE,format=qcow2 \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.0,drive=JANE \
-vga none \
-serial stdio \
-device e1000-82545em,netdev=Mac,mac=52:54:00:00:00:02 -netdev tap,id=Mac \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1

Tested Cinebench scores. Pretty decent. Am waiting for when -cpu host option is supported by Clover (Xeon chip). 

I had it working at some point to boot with up to IvyBridge, but I can't get it to work right now :-\. 

We should probably work on this next. I will happy to help with any run thrus. I haven't fully migrated my physical laptop over, but it would be great to ultimately have -cpu host option.

When I did it with anything past core2duo, Clover would load, hard drive was detected, then I selected and I would get black screen with 100% CPU usage.

@DaGr8Gatzby

Which 970 did you buy, been considering splashing out since the Occulus compat checker told me I was pants lol so was looking at the Asus strix 970. You first impressions?

Also, if your running a Linux kernel v4.1 or higher you can now bypass using pic-stub for your passthrough and bind them directly to the vfio-pci driver on boot so no need to reassign pre guest launch. Found that my DVB passthrough in particular is rock solid now since that change as the driver re-assignment was having an impact which cause some hangs occasionally.

@DaGr8Gatzby

Which 970 did you buy, been considering splashing out since the Occulus compat checker told me I was pants lol so was looking at the Asus strix 970. You first impressions?

Also, if your running a Linux kernel v4.1 or higher you can now bypass using pic-stub for your passthrough and bind them directly to the vfio-pci driver on boot so no need to reassign pre guest launch. Found that my DVB passthrough in particular is rock solid now since that change as the driver re-assignment was having an impact which cause some hangs occasionally.

yea I haven't gotten around to enabling the vfio IDs. I just did PCI-Stub because at least I knew the GTX970 wouldn't be kernel locked.

I bought:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+ Cooling Graphics Card (04G-P4-3975-KR)

Can Confirm that IvyBridge works. Here is my new script line:

#!/bin/bash

# Unbind GTX970
echo "0000:01:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/driver/unbind
echo "0000:01:00.1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.1/driver/unbind

# Assign to vfio-pci
echo "10de 13c2" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id
echo "10de 0fbb" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id

# Start mac
qemu-system-x86_64 \
--enable-kvm \
-cpu core2duo,kvm=off \
-smp 8,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2 \
-smbios type=2 \
-rtc base=localtime \
-bios /Machines/Mac/EFI.bin \
-m 4096 \
--vnc 10.0.0.2:1 \
-M q35 \
-boot order=dc \
-device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" \
-usb \
-device ich9-ahci,id=ahci \
-drive file=/Machines/Mac/CloverNV.img,if=none,id=CLOVER,format=raw \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.1,drive=CLOVER \
-drive file=/Machines/Mac/Jane.img,if=none,id=JANE,format=qcow2 \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.0,drive=JANE \
-vga none \
-serial stdio \
-device e1000-82545em,netdev=Mac,mac=52:54:00:00:00:02 -netdev tap,id=Mac \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1

Performance is severely degraded not using core2duo. My Retina Macbook 2013 is posting similar scores to my VM. I am very satisfied.

Still can't get the resolution to be 1080p

Edited the boot.plist file and added

Graphics Mode

1920x1080x32

I have tried using virt-manager which uses a default vRAM of 16mb but no change.

Using qemu and -device qxl-vga...args... only produces a black screen where the UEFI bios will not show or anything for that matter.

Note: I am not using a VNC setup with the qemu command line, but virt-manager does this automatically and still no change in either resolution

Also: How to remove the default PS/2 keyboard and mouse? (in virt-manager) using virsh to remove it simply re-adds the devices when writing out

Graphics Mode

1920x1080x32

I have tried using virt-manager which uses a default vRAM of 16mb but no change.

Using qemu and -device qxl-vga...args... only produces a black screen where the UEFI bios will not show or anything for that matter.

Note: I am not using a VNC setup with the qemu command line, but virt-manager does this automatically and still no change in either resolution

Also: How to remove the default PS/2 keyboard and mouse? (in virt-manager) using virsh to remove it simply re-adds the devices when writing out

It appears you have already installed OS X. Unless you recompile ovmf with a custom res, you will get screen tearing or black screens. I highly suggest using a PCI Express video card.

HDMI Audio is a negative for me despite HDMIAudio1.1 being seen by kextstat. Do I need to modify something inside clover?

I just solved this in the last 10 minutes. Essentially it seems like it's just audio chipset issue. I looked into patching DSDT files but saw that a lot of them were motherboard specific. Not really relevant to my situation. Linux showed that the kernel module was snd_intel_hda. From here I went ahead and installed VoodooHDA and now I have crisp sound on my TV. 

I won't be using HDMI audio much, as I have a plan for all in one operation near my desk. I plan to just pass the integrated sound card on my motherboard. However, it should be similar as it is snd_intel_hda as well:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

It appears you have already installed OS X. Unless you recompile ovmf with a custom res, you will get screen tearing or black screens. I highly suggest using a PCI Express video card.

HDMI Audio is a negative for me despite HDMIAudio1.1 being seen by kextstat. Do I need to modify something inside clover?

Nvidia GTX 650 passthrough; using HDMIAudio1.0 using Clover kext injection.  Found that Clover/Clover Configurator defeault to only use injection when kext's are detected in the appropriate Clover directory...however this never worked for me so I had to either manually select to inject from the boot menu or change the option in Clover/CC from "detected" to "yes".  This then enabled HDMI audio for me.

Graphics Mode

1920x1080x32

So am testing this now, fixed the GFX tearing by downing Clover to an 800x600 resolution which then gives legible kernel output and the GUI installer looks just fine.  I also added the CSM driver but I'm not convinced this is being used as I don't believe my OVMF has the CSM module...will debug further on this and clarify.

Regards removing the default input devices using virsh, they aren't re-added for me provided the virsh changes commit correctly...

virsh dumpxml blackmac

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>blackmac</name>
  <uuid>7b451b92-1ad1-4d52-b6d0-e763249adcaf</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <hugepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.5'>hvm</type>
    <loader type='rom'>OVMF.fd</loader>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <bootmenu enable='no'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <pae/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='custom' match='exact'>
    <model fallback='allow'>core2duo</model>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
      <source file='/mnt/vms/blackmac.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='sdc' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <model name='i82801b11-bridge'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <model name='pci-bridge'/>
      <target chassisNr='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:b0:3d:e5'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x0b05'/>
        <product id='0x17cb'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x045e'/>
        <product id='0x02d1'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Dude sorry I thought you were askin cos ya dint know sorry my bad. Was just sharin {censored} to help Maca as he's strugglin on a point or 2. My vms peachy as wi a passthru of a {censored} old card lol

All good in the hood brother. This is bleeding edge. Love to have some compadres.

I'm trying to get my audio without voodoo. Will be a bit difficult. :(

@Maclarentosh...

Okay so think I have some solutions for you to try if you've not solved your problems already.

1. Using the QXL driver but being able to specify more video memory

-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vgamem_mb=16

So my previous post had a similar line to the above but included bus and addr parameters, this caused OVMF to try and map it which is why you got the black screen.  Removing those unnecessary parameters solves this issue.

2. Full working qemu command line below, this needs to be run a root so use sudo. The only reason for this is because of the network tap device the command creates before it starts the guest, if you have a simpler network solution then non-root privileges should work fine.

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-name Mac_tester \
-enable-kvm \
-bios ./OVMF.fd \
-m 4096 \
-cpu core2duo,vendor=GenuineIntel \
-smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 \
-machine pc-q35-2.5,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off \
-rtc base=localtime \
-device isa-applesmc,osk="XXX" \
-smbios type=2 \
-device i82801b11-bridge,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1e \
-device pci-bridge,chassis_nr=2,id=pci.2,bus=pci.1,addr=0x1 \
-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vgamem_mb=16 \
-device ahci,id=sata0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x5 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,id=usb,bus=pci.2,addr=0x3 \
-device usb-mouse \
-device usb-kbd \
-drive file=./Clover_MacOSX_Boot_Image.img,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-2,format=raw \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=drive-sata0-0-2,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1 \
-drive file=./Macintosh_HD.qcow2,if=none,media=disk,id=drive-sata0-0-0,format=qcow2 \
-device ide-hd,bus=sata0.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-0,id=sata0-0-0 \
-netdev tap,id=hostnet0,ifname=tap0,script=./qemu_br0_ifup.sh,downscript=./qemu_br0_ifdown.sh \
-device e1000-82545em,netdev=hostnet0,id=tap0,mac=`source ./genmac.sh` \
-drive file="./Mac OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan.iso",if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-sata0-0-1,readonly=on,format=raw \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-1,id=sata0-0-1

I've attached a .zip archive which contains the .sh scripts for my tap networking, you may need to make some minor modifications to these for your set-up so look before leaping.  Also the scripts make use of the linux-bridge package, this assumes you've installed this on your host and have already configured a bridge network against br0.

3. OSX Resolution to 1920x1080 without using physical GFX passthrough aka using the Qemu QXL video driver

So I tried a few variations to get this working but I believe a previous poster was on the money (kudos to him/her sorry I can't recall who it was)...

• Built OVMF from source but modified the following file 'edk2/OvmfPkg/OvmfPkgX64.dsc' pre build process.  There are 4 lines which specify a horizontal and vertical resolution (used nano and searched for the word "resolution").  Just amend these to be 1920 and 1080 respectively and build.  I used a guide created by @ThatGordo  https://gist.github.com/gordonturner/85dcc321d2099d610e67, pretty simple and quick (thanks Gordo).
    • In the attached .zip archive I've included my custom OVMF.fd I built so you can test.
  • Clover GUI setting needs to be 1920x1080

That's pretty much it, let us know if these worked for you.

K

Hackintosh.zip