Insanely fast virtual Mac (QEMU, OVMF, Clover and native graphics)

514 posts in this topic

Yes it's incredible, passthrough is working very well.

Now I have turned on Arch Linux which is host computer using Intel HD4000 and two VM, one with Windows which use R9 290X(gaming rig) and second one which use GTX950 - OSX machine. 

Whole computer is using something around 30 GB ram. I allocated 20GB to os x - my workstation and 8GB to windows, the rest is for web server and host linux.

I really recommends this setup, Windows with all games is almost like OSX app, I can switch to it and from it as I want and let all windows in OSX opened. Not to mention that whole process of switching is as fast, as your monitor can change inputs.

Yes, I know. I was blinking to a setup like unRAID and looking for virtualization solutions with PCI* passthrough on a OS X host.

If a virtualized OS X would run as vanilla as you say, I could just go ahead and set up a unRAID system...

@frees11  Check out my prev post here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309087-insanely-fast-virtual-mac-qemu-ovmf-clover-and-native-graphics/page-12?do=findComment&comment=2209633) it contains the qemu command line examples as well as attached bash scripts necessary for creating a tap network device...put the vm into the same IP subnet as the rest of your home network.

yop, I've got pretty much everything working now, I made network bridges according this guide https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1148335#p1148335and synergy and samba wasn't problem at all. Thanks for your help and thanks for waschbenzin guide, I wouldn't be able to get it working without you too  :thumbsup_anim:

Is it possible to use a whole SSD or HDD for that VM and how are the read/write times for you?

Well you can create image which will accomodate whole size of your hdd or ssd, I didn't try passing whole disk to VM, I really don't see any advantage. 

Here are speeds, but I don't know how to give them to context. I don't know if ssd is too slow or too fast, but my feelings are that there is no difference between qemu image on ssd and windows directly installed on ssd. SSD is Kingston Savage 480GB.

http://prntscr.com/a6b67t

• Like 1

Hello Folks,

I have been reading this topic with great interest, and I have set up the following on my system (core i7-3770, Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3, 16GB RAM, and NVidia GT740):

I have Ubuntu 15.10, with qemu 2.3.0 with kvm. pretty vanilla, i blacklisted nouveau module and set up pci-stub for IOMMU/VFIO.

i got windows 10 KVM up and running, and passing through nvidia card and keyboard/mouse/audio. works well.

I am, however, stumbling on getting OSX to install under Clover/OVMF environment.

- I use qemu's command line, OVMF, and clover image from waschbenzin's post here

- I also checked that hdiutil verified the downloaded install image as ok, then I made El Capitan Installer from USB.

- I just added another USB disk to waschbenzin's qemu's command line as:

-device ide-drive,bus=hdbus.2,drive=installer \
-drive id=installer,if=none,file=/samba/playground/elcap10.11.3_usb.dd,format=raw  \

- I became root (sudo -s) and launched waschbenzin's start-kvm.sh

- Clover came up fine, detected the installer, booted up and I reached the installer's menu. The last debug messages on stdio was:

[AHCI][PRT][001F0250]-IOAHCIPort::start - result = TRUE
[AHCI][PRT][001F0250]*IOAHCIPort::start - gAHCIDebugFlags = 0x1
** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
kPEDisableScreen 1
kPEDisableScreen 1
initialize_screen: b=FFFFFF8867955000, w=00000320, h=00000258, r=00000C80, d=00000001
initialize_screen: b=FFFFFF8867955000, w=00000320, h=00000258, r=00000C80, d=00000001
kPEEnableScreen 1

- I then proceeded to format the install target disk, and choose Install OS X. After 2-3 seconds, I am greeted with the following:

(see attached file: A window pops up and says "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading." )

I now am stumped. I tried to google this problem. Some links (this and this) told me to check the installer, which I did earlier (and have installed on bare-metal hackintosh or virtualbox without problem) - I have also checked that the date & time in terminal are current.

Does anyone have any recommendation to this? I would certainly appreciate it. I feel that I am so close.  This is OS X 10.11.3 clean install.

Thanks and best regards!

post-1101983-0-00660300-1456161066_thumb.jpg

Hello Folks,

I have been reading this topic with great interest, and I have set up the following on my system (core i7-3770, Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3, 16GB RAM, and NVidia GT740):

I have Ubuntu 15.10, with qemu 2.3.0 with kvm. pretty vanilla, i blacklisted nouveau module and set up pci-stub for IOMMU/VFIO.

i got windows 10 KVM up and running, and passing through nvidia card and keyboard/mouse/audio. works well.

I am, however, stumbling on getting OSX to install under Clover/OVMF environment.

- I use qemu's command line, OVMF, and clover image from waschbenzin's post here

- I also checked that hdiutil verified the downloaded install image as ok, then I made El Capitan Installer from USB.

- I just added another USB disk to waschbenzin's qemu's command line as:

-device ide-drive,bus=hdbus.2,drive=installer \
-drive id=installer,if=none,file=/samba/playground/elcap10.11.3_usb.dd,format=raw  \

- I became root (sudo -s) and launched waschbenzin's start-kvm.sh

- Clover came up fine, detected the installer, booted up and I reached the installer's menu. The last debug messages on stdio was:

[AHCI][PRT][001F0250]-IOAHCIPort::start - result = TRUE
[AHCI][PRT][001F0250]*IOAHCIPort::start - gAHCIDebugFlags = 0x1
** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
kPEDisableScreen 1
kPEDisableScreen 1
kPEEnableScreen 1

- I then proceeded to format the install target disk, and choose Install OS X. After 2-3 seconds, I am greeted with the following:

(see attached file: A window pops up and says "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading." )

I now am stumped. I tried to google this problem. Some links (this and this) told me to check the installer, which I did earlier (and have installed on bare-metal hackintosh or virtualbox without problem) - I have also checked that the date & time in terminal are current.

Does anyone have any recommendation to this? I would certainly appreciate it. I feel that I am so close.  This is OS X 10.11.3 clean install.

Thanks and best regards!

I'd ask an admin to move your post to another thread.

"This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading."

It states that your installer image is corrupted or ​it can't get successfully checked. Use "createinstaller" method to create a usb installer and test with it.

"** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out"

Do you have "FakeSMC.kext" installed?

Edit:

You could press CMD+L to enable log window in OS X installer to see more...

I'd ask an admin to move your post to another thread.

"This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading."

It states that your installer image is corrupted or ​it can't get successfully checked. Use "createinstaller" method to create a usb installer and test with it.

"** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out"

Do you have "FakeSMC.kext" installed?

Edit:

You could press CMD+L to enable log window in OS X installer to see more...

Please don't move this post to another thread. I believe it is relevant to clover+ovmf.

I have installed OS X El Capitan so many times in many different environments (bare metal hackintosh, virtualbox, vmware, qemu-kvm with SeaBios+enoch). I have never experienced this before, except for this particular qemu-kvm clover+ovmf combination.

Please don't move this post to another thread. I believe it is relevant to clover+ovmf.

I have installed OS X El Capitan so many times in many different environments (bare metal hackintosh, virtualbox, vmware, qemu-kvm with SeaBios+enoch). I have never experienced this before, except for this particular qemu-kvm clover+ovmf combination.

Try to use that installer image on a "bare metal" pc and see if it works then.

• Like 1

Try to use that installer image on a "bare metal" pc and see if it works then.

That's what I'm trying to do next. Thanks for the tip on installer log. I have found the culprit: CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED

Feb 22 10:04:41 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.CompatibilityUpdate (http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/09/24/031-40361/b5r7n37buecb3gbsdtn5yc24vnml73y1lk/OSX_10_11_IncompatibleAppList.pkg)
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Error verifying ESD Payload PKG: The operation couldn’t be completed. (PKProductErrorDomain error 0.)
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Underlying error: The operation couldn’t be completed. CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: pkgdmg is not signed or altered.
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: pkgdmg validation has failed.
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Stopped operation queue with Error Domain=IAErrorDomain Code=101 "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.}

That's what I'm trying to do next. Thanks for the tip on installer log. I have found the culprit: CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED

Feb 22 10:04:41 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Retrieved package com.apple.pkg.CompatibilityUpdate (http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/09/24/031-40361/b5r7n37buecb3gbsdtn5yc24vnml73y1lk/OSX_10_11_IncompatibleAppList.pkg)
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Error verifying ESD Payload PKG: The operation couldn’t be completed. (PKProductErrorDomain error 0.)
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Underlying error: The operation couldn’t be completed. CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: pkgdmg is not signed or altered.
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: pkgdmg validation has failed.
Feb 22 10:04:42 Mac-Pro InstallAssistant[487]: Stopped operation queue with Error Domain=IAErrorDomain Code=101 "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.}

The fundamental thing about certificates is correct date. Or your image is indeed corrupt. Can't you create a usb installer with official "createinstaller" and assign it to your VM and boot from it?

Just to chime in

During the update of my docs and validation of instructions, I also got the 'This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified.  It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.'

I am comfortable saying the source image is valid, but to confirm I ran what I think should validate the source drive image:

hdiutil verify Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

And got:

Checksumming Protective Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)…
Protective Master Boot Record (MBR :: verified   CRC32 $CD2DD671
Checksumming GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1)…
 GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1): verified   CRC32 $9418AD42
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Table : 2)…
GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Tabl: verified   CRC32 $D43195C8
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 3)…
                    (Apple_Free : 3): verified   CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B : 4)…
EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-: verified   CRC32 $B54B659C
Checksumming disk image (Apple_HFS : 5)…
...............................................................................................................................................................................
          disk image (Apple_HFS : 5): verified   CRC32 $243F62EC
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 6)…
..................................................................................................................................................................................
                    (Apple_Free : 6): verified   CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table : 7)…
..................................................................................................................................................................................
GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table: verified   CRC32 $D43195C8
Checksumming GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8)…
...................................................................................................................................................................................
  GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8): verified   CRC32 $04990E82
...................................................................................................................................................................................
verified   CRC32 $06D96172
hdiutil: verify: checksum of "Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" is VALID

Hi smolderas and ThatGordo,

smolderas, I have always created my usb device by createinstallmedia. In fact, I don't know any other way. :lol:  It turns out that out of all 4 raw dumps that I had on hand. Only one worked. They have all been created from the same set of files, which verified ok (same command as ThatGordo's above.)

Thanks a lot, ThatGordo, for sharing your experience. Otherwise I will feel like I'm the only guy who encountered this problem.

So, after that, I got El Capitan installed and running on qxl. I am going to pass through my nvidia gpu now. waschbenzin's clover-debug-test will be removed and clover will be installed to the EFI system partition of my mac system drive. Reporting back soon...

Hi smolderas and ThatGordo,

smolderas, I have always created my usb device by createinstallmedia. In fact, I don't know any other way. :lol:  It turns out that out of all 4 raw dumps that I had on hand. Only one worked. They have all been created from the same set of files, which verified ok (same command as ThatGordo's above.)

Thanks a lot, ThatGordo, for sharing your experience. Otherwise I will feel like I'm the only guy who encountered this problem.

So, after that, I got El Capitan installed and running on qxl. I am going to pass through my nvidia gpu now. waschbenzin's clover-debug-test will be removed and clover will be installed to the EFI system partition of my mac system drive. Reporting back soon...

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

You could always manually create an image with dd and bless. Nevertheless the command ThatGordo mentions checks the integrity of the dmg images. The OS X checks the signature (hash value of the whole image I think?) and the certificates, which you can't just verify with hdiutil verify...

Nevertheless waiting for your report on gpu passthrough...

Ok. Progressing further, but still stuck.

I have a Windows 10 setup that I can pass through GPU + entire USB controller to qemu-kvm ok, and it runs well, but this time I started from waschbenzin and KillerKelvUK's qemu command line. I removed the qxl display and put in my passthrough:

My command line attached below. Clover menu came up. I could select and navigate around the menu and I can boot. The login screen came up in all its 1920x1200 glory,

Instead of passing through the entire USB controller, I only passed the USB devices. Seems to work now. Edited qemu command line below. Oh boy, that sure took a long time.

Next up: installing clover to the boot drive so I can remove waschbenzin's clover-debug-test.dd and try logging in to app store. :drool::thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

update: installed clover into boot drive and removed waschbenzin's clover-debug-test.dd. app store, icloud, imessage all seem to be working.

next to do: 1.write up about what i did to get this far. 2. try to see whether nvidia's web driver increases my card's performance (GT740 is natively supported).

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 \
-m 2048 \
-enable-kvm \
-cpu core2duo,kvm=off,vendor=GenuineIntel \
-M q35,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off \
-bios OVMF-pure-efi.fd \
-nodefaults \
\
-device ahci,id=hdbus,bus=pcie.0 \
-device i82801b11-bridge,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1e \
-device pci-bridge,chassis_nr=2,id=pci.2,bus=pci.1,addr=0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pci.2,addr=0x2.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pci.2,multifunction=on,addr=0x2 \
\
-device ide-drive,bus=hdbus.0,drive=Clover \
-drive id=Clover,if=none,file=clover-debug-test.dd,format=raw  \
-device ide-drive,bus=hdbus.1,drive=MacOSX \
-drive id=MacOSX,if=none,file=disk0.img,format=raw  \
\
-netdev tap,id=hostnet0 \
-device e1000-82545em,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:1d:3a:25,bus=pcie.0 \
-device isa-applesmc,osk="lalalala" \
\
-usbdevice host:0557:2221 -usbdevice host:093a:2510 \
\
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on \
-serial stdio \

So something else is going on here.

On a hunch, after the error message and getting bounce back the 'OS X Utilities' main menu, I fired up terminal and set the date back in time using:

date 0101032116

Then ran 'Install OS X' and it ran without errors.

So, something is up and it appears to be unrelated to corrupt images.

So something else is going on here.

On a hunch, after the error message and getting bounce back the 'OS X Utilities' main menu, I fired up terminal and set the date back in time using:

date 0101032116

Then ran 'Install OS X' and it ran without errors.

So, something is up and it appears to be unrelated to corrupt images.

As I mentioned earlier, the certificates couldn't get verified because of the wrong date...

As I mentioned earlier, the certificates couldn't get verified because of the wrong date...

I am sorry if I missed that, but can you be more clear?

In my instance it worked _because_ of the wrong date.  

i.e. It would appear that a certificate has expired, which caused the 'CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED' error.  Back dating to when the cert was valid allowed the install to continue.

I am sorry if I missed that, but can you be more clear?

In my instance it worked _because_ of the wrong date.  

i.e. It would appear that a certificate has expired, which caused the 'CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED' error.  Back dating to when the cert was valid allowed the install to continue.

Sure. It is all correct, what happened.

Certificates would be issued for a limited time, like 1 or 2 years, depending when the OS X image is downloaded. 

I think you've caught the right time frame with the "wrong date". Try to set the date 2-3 years prior to what you've set, it won't work...

Sorry if it's not clear enough, hence english is not my native language.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to set the clock for the kvm / qemu image at start time?  Setting it in the 'OS X Utilities' main menu via terminal is a pain.

Also, wouldn't this error impact anyone using the image with real Apple hardware?  

Or is there something going on with the 'OSX_10_11_IncompatibleAppList.pkg' that gets downloaded?

(Looking back at the error from smolderas, the error is immediately after downloading that file.)

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to set the clock for the kvm / qemu image at start time?  Setting it in the 'OS X Utilities' main menu via terminal is a pain.

Also, wouldn't this error impact anyone using the image with real Apple hardware?  

Or is there something going on with the 'OSX_10_11_IncompatibleAppList.pkg' that gets downloaded?

(Looking back at the error from smolderas, the error is immediately after downloading that file.)

Just a side note about that downloaded file. It contains nothing but a list of incompatible apps and kexts, that would get moved to a folder, if you do an update instead of a clean install.

To your first question, yes, it would impact real Apple hardware as well.

Since I don't have a setup like that (yet) and don't know anything about QEMU or its configurations I can only assume, that there should be some options to "share" the host time with the VM's...

Edit:

quick google search yielded this about "-rtc" option:

Specifies the way the RTC is handled inside a VM Guest. By default, the clock of the guest is derived from that of the host system. Therefore, it is recommended that the host system clock is synchronized with an accurate external clock (for example, via NTP service).

If you need to isolate the VM Guest clock from the host one, specify clock=vm instead of the default clock=host.

You can also specify a 'starting point' for VM Guest clock with the base option:

qemu-kvm [...] -rtc clock=vm,base=2010-12-03T01:02:00

Instead of a timestamp, you can specify utc or localtime. The former instructs VM Guest to start at the current UTC value (Coordinated Universal Time, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC), while the latter applies the local time setting.

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to set up this config with no success so far.

EDIT : Working on fixing mu problem, will update.

One thing that bothers me, is that I can't find the q35-acpi-dsdt.aml file since it was pulled from the qemu github. Was this file mandatory?

Other question that might help me understand the process. It looks like I am "chain booting" devices. Let me explain, my KVM scripts boot the Clover images, then the Clover image boot the "El capitan install images/iso". Once the OSX has begun its installation, I will choose to install it on my "virtual system drive". Which means that I have 3 drives to load in my KVM install :

1. Clover
  2. El Capitan installation disk
  3. My virtual system disk

So loading all those 3 disk with KVM is no problem. However something confuses me. In a guide I've been following (by the way if the author reads me, I couldn't find the PNG file he was refering to in is guide for clover configurator), it suggests to install Clover "inside" the El Capitan Install disk. This means, I'll only have 2 disks to load in KVM. Then once my OSX is installed, does it mean I'll have to keep the HUGE clover + El capitan image, or can I send use a lighter Clover and just boot my virtual disk?

So far I could install OSX to a LVM parition thanks to the clover + El capitan image I did with guide above. However, I might have "screwed up" the Clover install.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to set up this config with no success so far.

EDIT : Working on fixing mu problem, will update.

One thing that bothers me, is that I can't find the q35-acpi-dsdt.aml file since it was pulled from the qemu github. Was this file mandatory?

Other question that might help me understand the process. It looks like I am "chain booting" devices. Let me explain, my KVM scripts boot the Clover images, then the Clover image boot the "El capitan install images/iso". Once the OSX has begun its installation, I will choose to install it on my "virtual system drive". Which means that I have 3 drives to load in my KVM install :

1. Clover
  2. El Capitan installation disk
  3. My virtual system disk

So loading all those 3 disk with KVM is no problem. However something confuses me. In a guide I've been following (by the way if the author reads me, I couldn't find the PNG file he was refering to in is guide for clover configurator), it suggests to install Clover "inside" the El Capitan Install disk. This means, I'll only have 2 disks to load in KVM. Then once my OSX is installed, does it mean I'll have to keep the HUGE clover + El capitan image, or can I send use a lighter Clover and just boot my virtual disk?

So far I could install OSX to a LVM parition thanks to the clover + El capitan image I did with guide above. However, I might have "screwed up" the Clover install.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Hey nesousx, I didn't realise this until reading your post just now but the q35-acpi-dsdt.aml file is actually distributed with QEMU (or at least it is with the package on Ubuntu)...I found the file located here /usr/share/seabios/q35-acpi-dsdt.aml...see also the changelog of QEMU which indicates the reason for its inclusion http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/1.3

Regards the chain loading questions...you don't install clover onto your 'El Cap installation disk' you install it onto your 'My virtual system disk'...in essences 1 + 3 become the same disk.  Make sense?

all,

I figured I should chime in on this. The easiest way to get this working in my case was to actually make a separate disk for Clover. The disk is just a 1GB blank file made with dd. I did the following:

1. Make disk image with dd

2. Mount it locally on Mac machine

3. Run clover installer and install to mounted volume

4. Transfer dd image to KVM box

5. Use the qemu/kvm tools to set this up as my boot drive

6. Ensure clover works

7. Make another disk strictly for OS X install

8. Modify KVM line to include newly created image file

9. Install

10. Ensure clover sees the additional disk