ga-q77m-d2h bios dead, switching to ASUS p8z77-m

2 posts in this topic

Apparently tinkering with my hackintosh has reached addictive proportions and I ended up having a failed bios flash (thanks @bios). I think I was having this issue (http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=12234.0) so it might have been inevitable anyways. Now all I get is a blank screen at boot, it powers on but the bios is gone. So I have a few questions about fixing this issue.

1) I searched some and seems there's not really much I can do to reflash the bios considering I can't even get into the menu to do so. But just in case I'm missing something, does anyone know how I might be able to fix this, save from sending it in to gigabyte? I do have a usb with the bios file on it.

2) I found a good deal on an ASUS P8Z77-M on Newegg so I quickly bought that as it seems lga 1155 mobos are scarce these days. I'm hoping to be able to do a swap and boot right into the OS with just a few tweaks through clover bootloader. Since I don't have another Mac, I would prefer not to have to start all over from the beginning. I can probably can borrow a friends to add a few kexts to efi if necessary but that would be a chore. So my question is this, what if anything should I know about changing motherboards when a machine is already set up? Should I just reinstall or is the OS salvageable? My ssd has 10.11 and web drivers. I read some and most say this board is petty straight forward aside from getting speedstep to work (I'm planning on just editing the kext - no more fooling with the bios for me).

3) I have Windows 10 on a separate ssd, same question as #2?

My specs are: evga gtx 970, Samsung Evo ssd, Sandisk Ssd, 3 tb raid

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A quick update: So I ended up making the switch and it was pretty seamless. The board did arrive seemingly DOA but I flashed the bios and now it seems to be working without issue.

Surprisingly windows 10 booted up immediately with the new board. I just removed and reinstalled the correct device drivers and that seems good. OS X was a little more difficult and as I don't have another mac it was a challenge to update the clover efi partition. Fortunately windows 10 recognized the clover efi I had on a usb drive (yay for keeping extras of those around!) and I was able to make some edits to the config.plist and update the .efi drivers and kext folders. Once that was done it was smooth sailing. I did end up flashing the bios with uefipatch for windows. I couldn't figure it out on os x and I couldn't find any documentation on how to use the software. With some searching I found a few comments in the forums but that was really about it. I got speedstep working very quickly after that PJALM has lots of DSDT patches for this and other ASUS boards. 

I found that USB doesn't work as well with 13,2 without DSDT edits and I had to switch to 14,2 for a bit. After renaming the USB devices in DSDT all of the USB ports again works in 13,2 but there's about a 5 second delay when booting (at the log in screen) until they work. 

So far I'm pretty happy with my mistake 1) Geekbench score is now 13267 and 2) Better fan control so it's much much quieter.

I know this board is a little old at this point and well documented but if anyone has questions feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help out as much as I can.

Does this board not have working NVRAM? I've had to install emuvariableuefi-64.efi and the rc scripts. Does anyone know if that is correct or am I missing something? I couldn't find much about that in some searches.

post-1223888-0-37386500-1446059227_thumb.png