ATI Mobility Radeon: driver and changing resolution

perfect0

6 posts in this topic

Any one know of a driver for the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700? That is my card on my Inspiron 9200. Also, I need some help with changing resolution. Mine is 1440 X 900 and I tried to tweak my OSx86 by changing the resolution and I never was able to boot into OSx86; I had to reinstall the entire OS!

Thanks in advance..

I followed the Callisto instructions. At reboot I was glad to see that Callisto was loading, although I got a black screen at the end. Looking at the Troubleshooting page in Callisto zip file, the black screen seems to be that the mode is out of range for my laptop screen although the resolution mentioned while booting was correct (1440x900) but I did notice that the the frequency was 90, I think a frequency that indeed my laptop screen maybe cannot accommodate. Now that I have a black screen I have no idea how to get into OSx86 again since an -x boot ends up the same way as a normal boot: a black screen. Help!

Maybe there is a thread you forgot to post this in...?

Boot into single user mode (-s).

At the command prompt, type:

mount -uw /
mkdir /callisto_backup
cd /System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
cd Extensions
mv Callisto* /callisto_backup/
mv ATIRadeon9700* /callisto_backup/
reboot

If you want to play with the removed files, just double-click on the icon for your OSX partition and find them in the folder named: callisto_backup

Tried playing around with Callisto's suggesting in his Troubleshooting page to change the CallistoUseAltPLLMethod value to true. The result is still a black screen but with white dots and dashes at the top portion of the screen. I guess that Callisto's patch will not work on my ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 on my Inspiron 9200.

By the way, I discovered that when editing using -s at safe boot, I created another backup folder naming it callisto_backup2.

I've been reading on other posts that they are trying the different variants of Callisto. I used b008. Would it be any different if I tried the earlier Callisto variants?

P.S. I guess it's alright to erase my callisto_backup and callisto_backup2 folders?

Happy to say that Callisto worked, version 3, that is. I now have 1440x900 resolution although, as others in other posts have also reported, I've lost QE and CI. I guess that's alright rather than being stuck on 1024x768 but with QE and CI?