2 questions

seekdestroy16

13 posts in this topic

How do I change the startup code to a normal white screen with a spinning ball gui thing instead?. Also, how do I put a lock (password etc.) on Apple's Software Update so that my kid's do not click on it....since I have to go download special patch's elsewhere for it to work. Thanks in advance.

for the software update. go to system preferences click software update and uncheck Search for Updates.

To get to the normal startup screen you need to change your com.apple.Boot.plist you can find it your library --> Preferences --> SystemConfiguration --> there it is.

Then change it into this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

This is mine probably you have some line with an S or something delete that and make it look like mine. Time out is something you can determine yourself its about how long the darwin boot menu waits for input and Graphics Mode is in which resolution you want to startup. However you can use mine its working great for me. After editing the file you need to open it with Textedit by the way save it on the desktop and then drag it to the original file give your password and it is replaced

good luck

for the software update. go to system preferences click software update and uncheck Search for Updates.

To get to the normal startup screen you need to change your com.apple.Boot.plist you can find it your library --> Preferences --> SystemConfiguration --> there it is.

Then change it into this:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

This is mine probably you have some line with an S or something delete that and make it look like mine. Time out is something you can determine yourself its about how long the darwin boot menu waits for input and Graphics Mode is in which resolution you want to startup. However you can use mine its working great for me. After editing the file you need to open it with Textedit by the way save it on the desktop and then drag it to the original file give your password and it is replaced

good luck

Thanks alot! this should work really well...but is it possible at all to put a lock on software update? I know it doesnt check for updates now that I have disabled it but my kid could still click on it and screw something up...right?.

EDIT: The screen still does the same thing at startup....I followed your directions exactly...what should I do?

yes that would be possible in that case create a seperate account for your kid again system preferences click Accounts. Click the lock give your password click the + and uncheck the box: Allow this user to administrate the computer (I dont know how its exactly said in your English version because I have the Dutch one). After that go to parental controls and I think you can check what he can do and what he cant. I havent tried it but it seems logical.

Thanks alot! this should work really well...but is it possible at all to put a lock on software update? I know it doesnt check for updates now that I have disabled it but my kid could still click on it and screw something up...right?.

EDIT: The screen still does the same thing at startup....I followed your directions exactly...what should I do?

can you copy and paste your com.apple.Boot.plist from SystemConfiguration and you mean that when you start you dont see the white screen with the gray apple and the spinning circle only some processes etc.?

yes that would be possible in that case create a seperate account for your kid again system preferences click Accounts. Click the lock give your password click the + and uncheck the box: Allow this user to administrate the computer (I dont know how its exactly said in your English version because I have the Dutch one). After that go to parental controls and I think you can check what he can do and what he cant. I havent tried it but it seems logical.

can you copy and paste your com.apple.Boot.plist from SystemConfiguration and you mean that when you start you dont see the white screen with the gray apple and the spinning circle only some processes etc.?

Yes, I do not see the white screen with the gray apple etc.

The processes bore me...wanna get rid of em.

I don't think that I did it right...here's what I did: opened the file up with text edit..pasted the new stuff in, saved as on desktop...dragged it into the folder...authenticated the replacement and nada after reboot.

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Yes, I do not see the white screen with the gray apple etc.

The processes bore me...wanna get rid of em.

I don't think that I did it right...here's what I did: opened the file up with text edit..pasted the new stuff in, saved as on desktop...dragged it into the folder...authenticated the replacement and nada after reboot.

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

</dict>

</plist>

luckily this isnt so hard remove the Kernel flags and -v..

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

this two lines must be deleted then you will be back to the beauty of the apple boot screen and btw if I were you I would bring the time out back to a few seconds then you dont have to wait 10 seconds before it to boot.

luckily this isnt so hard remove the Kernel flags and -v..

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

this two lines must be deleted then you will be back to the beauty of the apple boot screen and btw if I were you I would bring the time out back to a few seconds then you dont have to wait 10 seconds before it to boot.

Ok I think I did this right this time...saved the bootlist thingy correctly. Now when I try to add parental controls it says: "You cannot turn on Parental Controls for an administrator user or a network account. What should I do?.

EDIT: The boot gui thing works beautifly now and I'm VERY happy with it, thanks for the help on that one. Still stuck on the parental controls thingy though...

Ok I think I did this right this time...saved the bootlist thingy correctly. Now when I try to add parental controls it says: "You cannot turn on Parental Controls for an administrator user or a network account. What should I do?.

You must first add a new account for your kid. Next to your own user account. Your own account is administrator and you cant install parental controls on it. So make an extra account and dont allow the user to be an adminstrator (its a checkbox in the menu to create a new account). Then make that account and then you must be able to use parental controls on your newly created account. Hope I explained it well enough

You must first add a new account for your kid. Next to your own user account. Your own account is administrator and you cant install parental controls on it. So make an extra account and dont allow the user to be an adminstrator (its a checkbox in the menu to create a new account). Then make that account and then you must be able to use parental controls on your newly created account. Hope I explained it well enough

You sure did, now I got my dell dimension 1100 fully working...and I've saved ALOT of money from not buying an official mac. Thanks for the help Elrithranduil, have a good one.

You sure did, now I got my dell dimension 1100 fully working...and I've saved ALOT of money from not buying an official mac. Thanks for the help Elrithranduil, have a good one.

Your welcome :( always willing to help but still the design of a real mac beats that of my ugly pc.. thats why Iam saving for that macbook

Your welcome :) always willing to help but still the design of a real mac beats that of my ugly pc.. thats why Iam saving for that macbook

Macbook's are really nice. I'm saving for a Mac Pro...it should last me 6-8 years for it's reliability and upgradability. Just think about how much you would pay for a computer every year for 6-8 years.. almost ALOT more than you would pay for a mac pro. You are right, the design of a real mac beats any ugly PC...though it's always to look at computers in both cosmetic and technically enjoyable ways :(.

Macbook's are really nice. I'm saving for a Mac Pro...it should last me 6-8 years for it's reliability and upgradability. Just think about how much you would pay for a computer every year for 6-8 years.. almost ALOT more than you would pay for a mac pro. You are right, the design of a real mac beats any ugly PC...though it's always to look at computers in both cosmetic and technically enjoyable ways :).

And macs have both cosmetic and technical advantages :-) a better OS better design the only thing that bugs me is that they are so expensive and not always so upgradeable and that you cant play any game on it. But I could never last with one computer for 6 years :( after a year my hands already start to get itchy again.

And macs have both cosmetic and technical advantages :-) a better OS better design the only thing that bugs me is that they are so expensive and not always so upgradeable and that you cant play any game on it. But I could never last with one computer for 6 years :( after a year my hands already start to get itchy again.

Well I understand alot of mac fan's like to get the latest and greatest...but if I have all I need...a system that is worth 3k$ brand new...even a slightly upgraded imac model wouldnt make me want another mac. Unless there was something 10 times better than the Mac Pro. I moved to PC's last year, because of upgradability. I'm eager to get back into osx and the Mac Pro has exactly that... at a price but it's worth every penny.