Will WAKE FROM LAN (S5 standby state) affect ACPI?

OSX86 Noob

3 posts in this topic

I've been totally pissed of by OSX now.. will wait for Leopard.. so that I can really enjoy a REAL OSX that's intended for x86. =)

And uh.. I tried to go for Fedora Core 5 instead, hoping that I can get something similar to Mac, Unix things..

Began with joy.. But.... To my surprise, the installation couldn't even start at all!! Again, it's stuck at some line between the "ACPI" thing.. which means.. there's really something wrong with my MB's ACPI power control.

My Intel MB supports WAKE FROM LAN so it always stays at the S5 standby state with the LAN card LED on, I suspect this is the thing that is affecting the ACPI control.. Is it possible?

Are the technologies used on my MB too new? I don't know.. But it's unlikely as it all works very perfect on XP, no issue with the ACPI thing at all. Hope the next generation of OSX and Fedora Core will solve it... if not, I'm gonna complain Intel for this!

Cheers,

Leo

Well, sorry to slow you down, but don't expect your PC to work like Apple hardware out of the box. Because if you do, you'll most probably go through some more disappointments. Apple didn't tailor it to work with non-Apple hardware. Anyway, looking at your specs, I can tell it should work on your hardware. Good luck :)

Which Tiger DVD are you trying to install? It might just be the wrong one.

PS: You may have to wait too long for Leopard, since it han't released yet. When it gets released, it will need to be hacked to work on pc's, which means additional waiting time. You should either try to get tiger working now, or go for Apple hardware.

Well, sorry to slow you down, but don't expect your PC to work like Apple hardware out of the box. Because if you do, you'll most probably go through some more disappointments. Apple didn't tailor it to work with non-Apple hardware. Anyway, looking at your specs, I can tell it should work on your hardware. Good luck :compress:

Which Tiger DVD are you trying to install? It might just be the wrong one.

PS: You may have to wait too long for Leopard, since it han't released yet. When it gets released, it will need to be hacked to work on pc's, which means additional waiting time. You should either try to get tiger working now, or go for Apple hardware.

Thanks for the explanation McSkywalker.

I also hope that the Tiger now actually supports all my recent hardware, but it seems that it is not the case. Nor do Fedora Core 5... (*really disappointed*)

Anyway, I'm using the JaS 10.4.7 Repack iso. Is it unsuitable for my pc? please give me some comments. Will 10.4.6 be better? (I have the 10.4.6 by HOTiSO too)

Concerning Leopard, when will it be released? May be the same time with Vista? I've heard people saying that Leopard will be designed for PCs with Intel architecture. So it should be working with all the Intel PCs, no matter it is shipped by Apple or not. Is that going to be the case? I thought hacking would no longer be needed anymore and we could just go to the store, get a genuine copy of OSX Leopard, and install it to our Intel PCs right away directly...

Cheers,

Leo