El Capitan with Broadwell-U gives black screen

zaidshb

27 posts in this topic

You wrote it wrong. It should be 0x18C 0x3, not 0X, and also Clover's Shell won't work if you are planning to change the DVMT. Get Austere's bootx64.efi

That is the problem, Austere's efi doesn't work as I mentioned in earlier post. Also I think it doesn't matter using capital or small x because it shows the error is coming from command "syntax" and "setup_var"

• 2 weeks later...

It worked and here's how:

I'll write down the steps i made to get a working El Capitan on my Dell inspiron 7348 laptop for anyone have the same model and wants to give it a shot. I'll mention the steps one by one as much as i can and please always consider i'm no professional so don't ask me hard questions.

I'll quote some of the steps provided by RehabMan's post as there were of a great help.

I. Things you need to know before you start:

- For Broawdwell processors you can only install any version newer than 10.10.3, any thing earlier just wont work because as far as i know Broadwell wasn't supported until 10.10.3.

II. Changing DVMT:

In order to install ElCap you have to change the value of DVMT from whatever value to 96MB. In my case the variable was 0x18C and changed to 0x3 (Please do some research first but i'll answer any question) I tried different values but the only one worked was 96MB.

You can use (Backup Tools 12) to dump your BIOS, Then (Universal IFR Extractor) to extract it, then (UEFITool) to determine the variable of DVMT which you have to work with. Finally boot with (EFI Shell) to change the value (make sure EFI Shell should look like this /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi)

III. Creating ElCap Installer with Clover:

Its a simple method but might be tricky, so follow the steps word for word:

1. Format your USB drive to MAC OS Journaled.

2. Copy the installer using createinstallmedia command.

3. Launch Clover, choose the USB drive and check the following:

- Install for UEFI booting only ("Install Clover in the ESP" will automatically select)

- OsxAptioFixDrv-64

4. Once finished, copy HFSPlus.efi provided in the link above to /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI. Use only the file from RehabMan.

5. Delete all folders exept (Other) from (/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/) then copy important kexts (such as FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller) into it.Use only the files from RehabMan.

6. Remove config.plist and replace it with the one provided by RehabMan, in my case it was HD5500.

IV. Installing ElCap:

Now you are all set and you can install it the usual way hopefully with no problems. You can always use -v for tracking and solving your issues your issues.

In case i forgot something and missed something please let me know.

All credits goes to duduclx and vusun123 from Insanelymac and RehabMan from tonymacx86 and everyone helped .