Here's a challenging question - can you get this to work?

yuntimcgunti

3 posts in this topic

I've been running a hackintosh for the last year which works well.  However I now need to have intel virtualisation working with it due to developing with docker (and oracle's virtual box).  

Even though intel virtualisation is enabled in the bios (and also works in windows on the same machine - I use dual ssd one for windows one for OS X), it isn't working in OS X yosemite and I get virtual box reporting that I don't have an x86 compatible cpu but an i686 one - known to show than intel virtualisation isn't enabled).  

I know intel virtualisation is enabled by default on normal macs but has anyone got this to work with a hackintosh and how?

Is there a way to confirm independently of virtual box that it is/isn't enabled? Not sure if clover can override the bios settings and disable it somehow?

thanks,

Specs

intel i5 - 4570

Board: gigabyte Z87M-D3H

clover:3259

(Graphics 780ti)

if you fire up terminal and type uname -m what does it say ? 

$ uname -m

x86_64

try booting with clover boot settings 'arch=x86_64' 

downloaded virtual box and it says: Acceleration: VT-x/amd-v, nested paging,.... installed windows all good.

Thanks uname - m gives back x86-64

I have set, both:

intel virtualisation and

VT-d

set to enabled in the bios  (having vt-d enabled makes it a very unstable - and often I just get a black screen with a cursor after the verbose output so I have to switch it back for the moment.)

Setting arch=x86_64 output in clover boot settings doesn't seem to alter things unfortunately.

I probably need to get a log of when it fails to load when I select Vt-d (to help isolate the issue) but the boot.log option in clover configurator just saves the last boot unfortunately, which I can only get to when I turn off VT-d support in the bios. Is there a way to get to the boot log of the previous boot?

Or any other ideas where the issue might be.

I did notice when I have Vt-d enabled (and boot in verbose mode) then I get a long pause at VboxAdpDrv: version 5.0.4 r102546 (not sure if that is a red herring or not?)

Update apparently OS X doesn't support Vt-d (apart from Xserve, mac pro - source).   Vt-d isn't needed for docker just Vt-x (differences below)

Deleting the VM and resonating docker fixed it.  Now docker works great on my mackintosh.   Will leave this here in case it's useful for anyone else.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Overview_of_the_Intel_VT_Virtualization_Features