Windows 10 boot very slow with Clover

lisai9093

12 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

can you give more details? how slow? are you talking about windows actually booting up to login/desktop, or are you talking about the time it takes for clover to send you to the windows bootloader? 

using the windows bootloader as the default one is of course quicker by a few seconds, but in order to boot windows, you will always be using the windows bootloader. clover just chainloads it when you select it on the screen.

can you give more details? how slow? are you talking about windows actually booting up to login/desktop, or are you talking about the time it takes for clover to send you to the windows bootloader? 

using the windows bootloader as the default one is of course quicker by a few seconds, but in order to boot windows, you will always be using the windows bootloader. clover just chainloads it when you select it on the screen.

I'am talking about normal boot time, from clover gui to windows login screen, where you can see windows logo and spin circle. With Clover it is much longer boot time, like 10 spin circles vs. 1 circle. Under Windows 8 there is almost no difference in boot time.

Now I believe Clover is not the problem, since I tried use Clover to boot Win10 in PD11, and it is totally fine.

One possible reason I think could be the BIOS update from Dell. It is kinda buggy. For example, control+alt+del in BIOS menu will cause black screen forever, same in clover GUI. Also, update to Win10 kills touch screen on my machine. So both BIOS and win10 could be the culprit. I will probably downgrade BIOS later to see if it helps.

When you shutdown Windows, it is hibernated -> very fast boot on next start.

When you restart Windows, it is a 'cold' restart and the entire OS is reloaded -> longer boot time.

I doubt this is actually related to Clover. It could be that the Windows Boot Manager boot option takes passes an argument that enables the boot-from-hibernation in case the HDD is used from a different machine. Clover does definitely not pass any arguments.

When you shutdown Windows, it is hibernated -> very fast boot on next start.

When you restart Windows, it is a 'cold' restart and the entire OS is reloaded -> longer boot time.

I doubt this is actually related to Clover. It could be that the Windows Boot Manager boot option takes passes an argument that enables the boot-from-hibernation in case the HDD is used from a different machine. Clover does definitely not pass any arguments.

Sorry I didn't mention that. But I disabled hibernation and fast boot feature since I installed Windows 10. So it is always cold boot.

I doubt the problem is on BIOS side. So Clover is not fully compatible with the buggy BIOS from DELL. Unfortunately I cannot downgrade BIOS since DELL does not allow me to do..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...