Gigabyte 970 reboots with multiple displays connected at startup

murvold

6 posts in this topic

Running OSX 10.10.4 on a following setup:

mobo: Gigabyte x79 up4 (rev1.0 latest bios version F7)

cpu: i7 3820

gpu: Gigabyte Nvidia 970 mini itx 4gb (latest bios version F4)

ram: 32gb (8*4gb) 1600MHz CL10 Kingston HyperX Fury

hdd: 2*2tb WD Caviar Black + 4tb WD Black for storage

ssd: Samsung Evo 850 Pro 256gb(windows) + Crucial M100 256gb(osx)[planning to switch soon for pcie ssd]

bootloader: clover v2 r3253

bootflags: -v kext-dev-mode=1 pcirootuid=1 npci=0x2000 nvda-drv=1

nvidia web drivers: 346.02.02f03

Reboots when 1 or more displays are connected via DVI output at startup alongside DisplayPort and/or HDMI. DP and HDMI together boot up fine, but connecting DVI ports in OS it reboots. When booting with DP and/or HDMI + 1 or 2 DVI displays attached it reaches the end of verbose script and reboots. Once I was even able to type in my password at login screen, but usually it reboots just a millisecond before reaching the login screen so I'm not able to see the exact error message. I can attach other displays when fully booted with one display and everything works just fine - Nvidia web drivers are successfully loaded and so far haven't noticed any flickering or other kind of distortions.

Anyone familiar with this kind of issue?

I also added a bootlog from a successful boot via Clover Configurator, somewhy LogEveryBoot=Yes LogLocation=/Library/Logs/CloverEFI didn't produce any logs

Thank you in advance

Edited by murvold

Was the PCIRootUID=1 flag needed at all with your setup ?

it was actually recommended by another user here who also had a Gigabyte GPU with Gigabyte Mobo, but I tried to boot without and it works without it. thank you :)

but the initial problem is unfortunately still here...

There was actually a guy here who said that nvda_drv=1 flag isn't needed at all when you have finished installing the web drivers from Nvidia. It is automatically added at the end of the installation, onto your nvram. Try removing it and boot

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was struggling many days with corrupt osx partition and managed to fix it with terminal using usb boot. nvda_drv=1 doesn't seem to be in nvram somewhy and booting without it resulted in Web Drivers not loading and GPU not recognized. Anyway I updated my system to 10.10.5 and also updated Web Drivers to fit the version and on first boot with all displays connected I was even able to log in and it restarted after 40 seconds.

• 1 month later...

Hi, here are 2 different system problem reports which I was able to grab. There is a Kernel trap which has different kexts invovled in each report, but maybe some of you know what to look for. And yes sometimes it reboots to BIOS and instantly reboots again to Clover (usually when there are 2 dvi ports connected at startup). Problem report v2 was generated when I had 2 Dell p2415q monitors connected via DisplayPort at startup and the first one was generated with 1 p2415q via DP, 2 Samsung SyncMaster 2443 via DVI and 2 older monitors connected via HDMI splitter to HDMI port.

Problem Report for OS X.txt

Problem Report OSX v2.txt